Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Lady won a 1965 Ford Mustang notch back with 289 V8 and power steering painted black with white leather interior. They said the value is $15,000. Lucky _itch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
My understanding is when you win a car on The Price Is Right, you still are responsible for paying the taxes on it. From what I've heard, most who win cars on the show, don't have the cash for it, and don't end up taking said car home. So even though she won, there's a chance she went home without her prize.

Come on Down.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
You pay the sales tax when you register the car. If you can't afford the registration you could still drive it home and put it up for sale without having to pay any fees, so I can't see anyone leaving a car behind.

And what they charge for sales tax varies by state as well. In Iowa you pay sales tax based on the actual purchase price of the car, so if it was won in a contest you would pay no sales tax. In some states it goes by the age of the car or the sticker price (or a percentage of the original sticker price for a used vehicle). I don't think any state goes by the "book" value of a used car, but I could certainly be wrong.

Retail items are different, though. Appliances, furniture, TVs, trips, etc all have to have sales tax based on the retail rpice before they are released.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You pay the sales tax when you register the car. If you can't afford the registration you could still drive it home and put it up for sale without having to pay any fees, so I can't see anyone leaving a car behind.

And what they charge for sales tax varies by state as well. In Iowa you pay sales tax based on the actual purchase price of the car, so if it was won in a contest you would pay no sales tax. In some states it goes by the age of the car or the sticker price (or a percentage of the original sticker price for a used vehicle). I don't think any state goes by the "book" value of a used car, but I could certainly be wrong.

Retail items are different, though. Appliances, furniture, TVs, trips, etc all have to have sales tax based on the retail rpice before they are released.
That's only one small part of it. Anyone who wins a prize like that has to claim the value as income to the IRS. Win a $15,000 car and the IRS treats it like you won $15,000 in cash and you owe taxes on that amount. Depending on your income, witholding, etc. it can be a really big deal for people who win large dollar prizes like that. Of course no one is just going to leave the prize there, but the majority end up selling them so they can cover the tax liability to the IRS and end up walking away with some cash. Any local/state taxes owed are just piled on top of that. If selling it is not possible and there is no way you can cover the taxes, you end up with no choice but to forfeit the prize which absolves you from the liability.

The best example of this was the Oprah Pontiac G6 giveaway. This article from CNN sums the situation up nicely.

Winners of Oprah car give-away must pay up to $7,000 tax - Sep. 22, 2004

Quote:
For a brand new Pontiac G-Six, the model given away on the show, the sticker price is $28,500. The $28,500 would need to be claimed as income so, depending on the individuals tax bracket, the tax could be as high as $7,000. And that was after Pontiac agreed to pay most of the local charges, including state sales tax and licensing fees.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's only one small part of it. Anyone who wins a prize like that has to claim the value as income to the IRS. Win a $15,000 car and the IRS treats it like you won $15,000 in cash and you owe taxes on that amount. Depending on your income, witholding, etc. it can be a really big deal for people who win large dollar prizes like that. Of course no one is just going to leave the prize there, but the majority end up selling them so they can cover the tax liability to the IRS and end up walking away with some cash. Any local/state taxes owed are just piled on top of that. If selling it is not possible and there is no way you can cover the taxes, you end up with no choice but to forfeit the prize which absolves you from the liability.

The best example of this was the Oprah Pontiac G6 giveaway. This article from CNN sums the situation up nicely.

Winners of Oprah car give-away must pay up to $7,000 tax - Sep. 22, 2004
Good point on the income tax.

But it wouldn't be collected on the spot - I assume the winner would receive a 1099 - so it shouldn't prevent someone from taking his or her prize home unless the thought of being liable for the income tax was too intimidating (entirely possible).

I can't think of many prizes, other than a non-transferrable vacation package or something like that, that couldn't be sold for more than enough to cover the income tax.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Good point on the income tax.

But it wouldn't be collected on the spot - I assume the winner would receive a 1099 - so it shouldn't prevent someone from taking his or her prize home unless the thought of being liable for the income tax was too intimidating (entirely possible).

I can't think of many prizes, other than a non-transferrable vacation package or something like that, that couldn't be sold for more than enough to cover the income tax.
I take it you never had a big win at the horse races or in Vegas.

IRS takes 20% off the top on winning.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I take it you never had a big win at the horse races or in Vegas.

IRS takes 20% off the top on winning.
Those are gambling wins, not contest prizes. They are treated differently.

And don't worry, I've won my share at the track.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
You could get a loan to cover the taxes and use the vehicle as collateral for the loan.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 13,279 times
Default Thanks! Gave the car to my ill husband who does love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Lady won a 1965 Ford Mustang notch back with 289 V8 and power steering painted black with white leather interior. They said the value is $15,000. Lucky _itch.
I am blessed to have won this wonderful classic for my husband. He is a Veteran who deserved this gift. Thanks so very much to the Price is Right show.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 13,279 times
Default Great Experience from the Price is Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
My understanding is when you win a car on The Price Is Right, you still are responsible for paying the taxes on it. From what I've heard, most who win cars on the show, don't have the cash for it, and don't end up taking said car home. So even though she won, there's a chance she went home without her prize.

Come on Down.
I loved winning this classic car. As I said on the show which aired on April 27th 2012, I won this car for my ill husband. He so derserved it. At that point I didn't care about the taxes, I was just thrilled that I had the opportunity to be a part of the show. Everyone was fantastic from the producers, camera crew, to Drew, to the gal Amber who explained the taxes which was worth every penny to see the pride and smiles that the 65' classic pony brings my husband.
Great life experience. My husband was born in 1965, Karma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln