Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times

Advertisements

And what I mean by this is that I don't think there are many who would disagree with me that the new Lincolns today are little more than re-purposed Fusions and Edges. I love a good turnaround story and feel that GM did a great job with Cadillac, having turned their cars from being archaic floaty, dopey looking boats to new, sexy, very cool looking luxury cars. Its clear to me that if Lincoln want to be taken as a serious luxury brand, then they will need to develop a dedicated program to it by having actual original platforms and designs that are specific to Lincoln. Does anyone else feel the same or have other opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
IMO they need to improve reliability. They always get black circles (the worst) in Consumer Reports in the reliability column. When there are so many other car brands with better reliability for the same or less money, they are not going to be competitive.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
That and they look like cr*p.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
And what I mean by this is that I don't think there are many who would disagree with me that the new Lincolns today are little more than re-purposed Fusions and Edges. I love a good turnaround story and feel that GM did a great job with Cadillac, having turned their cars from being archaic floaty, dopey looking boats to new, sexy, very cool looking luxury cars. Its clear to me that if Lincoln want to be taken as a serious luxury brand, then they will need to develop a dedicated program to it by having actual original platforms and designs that are specific to Lincoln. Does anyone else feel the same or have other opinions?
Well, I enjoy my '95 Lincoln Town Car. And I like the '60s and '70s Lincoln. I wouldn't mind owning a '75 Lincoln Continental.

As for Cadillac, I much preferred when they floated down the road and had long, low and wide styling. The modern tall, chopped-off, chromeless/plastic and square look does nothing for me.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
They need to one up Cadillac. These companies have essentially offered equivalent lineups since the 20's. One decade after another they go back and forth outdoing each other by just a little bit or simply directly competing. Cadillac made their move, Lincoln will catch up with time. Be patient.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
Quote:
Well, I enjoy my '95 Lincoln Town Car. And I like the '60s and '70s Lincoln. I wouldn't mind owning a '75 Lincoln Continental.
My post was more about what Lincoln needs to do now. As far as Cadillac, they're on their A-game. That's the sort of direction Lincoln probably needs to be.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I'm a Lincoln fan, have always had new Lincolns, and I have an older Mark VII in the garage but I wouldn't consider anything Lincoln has today for an even swap. Lincoln has lost it's way and frankly, I doubt the folks at Lincoln have a clue what market segment they are suppose to be in. All they make are upgraded Fords and for the asking price, it ain't worth it or worth considering. If they intend on being a viable auto maker, they first need to define what market segment they are in. If it's luxury cars, make a good looking luxury car. If it's a performance luxury car, put a 6.2 in a well designed car and get after it. But regardless of what they do, drop the hideous grille designs that their cars wear today- it's the ugliest thing on the road. And quit using Ford bodies to make cars. Do you think the public can't tell the difference between an Expedition and a Navigator? Or an Edge and an MKX? Or a Taurus and an MKZ? Lincoln always stood out as a one of kind car. Now it's a hashed over Ford.
I'm not sure Lincoln even needs to do anything but go away. Obviously Ford sees no future with Lincoln or you'd be seeing new cars that are just Lincolns. Since that isn't happening, I expect to see them phase out Lincoln pretty soon. Ford will just be a volume producer of cars and trucks with no investment in the luxury car segment. Shame too with all of the Lincoln heritage blown in the wind like so much trash.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
One RWD platform to start.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
what does Lincoln need to do?
die

I can't understand why Ford decided to sell volvo and keep lincoln. Sell your good assets and keep the garbage.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,686 times
They're on the right track. Now that the botched MKZ launch is all fixed up, I've heard that they are selling very well. We'll know for sure in a week. The new MKC is another step in the right direction. The small CUV market is growing by a lot and it'll be good for Lincoln to get in the game fairly early. New MKX and refreshed Navigator are right around the corner as well. It's important to get the money making vehicles out on the market before they start to really compete with Cadillac and others. Don't you think a RWD car based off of the Mustang would be nice? Or an MKS with suicide doors?

I do think that they should have kept the Town Car around until 2016. Update it with the 5.0, 6 speed transmission, redesigned interior, refreshed exterior and you have a winner. It would have sold well, I think 36k units would be a good target number, just look at all the sales Lincoln has lost to Cadillac with the XTS. It also brought in buyers that went in looking to get a Town Car, but went with something more up to date. Now they head straight to the Cadillac or Chrysler dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln