Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ford has not sold a true full size RWD car in the US since the 1980s.
It's sold the Crown Vic up until fairly recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Ford has not sold a true full size RWD car in the US since the 1980s.
What would you call the crown vic?

They whole panter platform. Crown vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car...

Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,698 times
This sad news, but obviously a lot of the people down under haven't put their money where their mouths are.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:13 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Notice the price of a new car does not decrease when auto production is shifted to low cost countries.
Well they are publicly traded companies who hopefully watch out over their stockholders interests along with their pensions and bonuses so there's....that....

Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Exactly. Everyone expects higher pay and consistent pay increases while the consumer wants a less expensive product or more bang for the buck. These two demands are at odds and if we expect businesses to compete then we have to live with the consequence associated with running a competitive business.

These are the same jokers who complain about the demise of American manufacturing and then drive off to do their shopping at WalMart.
Excellent post....of course, the manufacturers have to actually make products that people want....my humble advice would be for Ford, GM and Chrysler to swipe as many talented folks from Toyota and Honda and go from there. It's obvious the management structures in place could never turn it around....not completely....

Their slogans have gone from quality is job one....not......to pension companies who make cars part time....wanna get back in the game??? Act like it. Quit coming back with, "it's better this time", with the truth being that they are STILL 1-2 steps behind Toyota and Honda.....even Hyundai came back like the Phoenix in 20 years.....

As far as the Fusion and other similar models they ARE a step in the right direction but, I would counter than they are STILL a few steps back....Ford drops out of Mazda's interest to 3% ownership of the company and voila, look at the new Mazda 6....they just don't get it and are never going to get it. Raise the white flag, hire the Japs, make better cars. It's that simple.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Perhaps the Japanese companies invest a little more in their vehicles than they do their employees.

It's a trade off in the American companies you pay your employees more money so they can buy a new Ford, Chevy or Dodge, the Japanese companies you pay them less so they can drive used Hondas, Toyota's, Ford and Chevy Pickups.

For the wages they pay building foreign cars they should be a lot cheaper than American brands.

I own both so I am not going to debate which is better. But if anybody thinks the Japanese know more about building autos they are mistaken. Don't forget nobody reverse engineers more products than the Asians.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Perhaps the Japanese companies invest a little more in their vehicles than they do their employees.

It's a trade off in the American companies you pay your employees more money so they can buy a new Ford, Chevy or Dodge, the Japanese companies you pay them less so they can drive used Hondas, Toyota's, Ford and Chevy Pickups.

For the wages they pay building foreign cars they should be a lot cheaper than American brands.

I own both so I am not going to debate which is better. But if anybody thinks the Japanese know more about building autos they are mistaken. Don't forget nobody reverse engineers more products than the Asians.

That whole post couldnt be any farther from reality.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
What would you call the crown vic?

They whole panter platform. Crown vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car...

I was thinking true full size, like early 1970s LTDs. Late model Crown Vics were really mid size.

Now they call a Taurus full size.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
That whole post couldnt be any farther from reality.
Really would you care to explain?

I know you are a car/driving expert because you have mentioned it before.

Here is one for you to explain, Ford, Chevy and Chrysler all have been racing pushrod V-8's for 50 years, along comes Toyota and reverse engineers all three of those engines and comes up with the TRD racing V-8 for NASCAR. a ForChevChry engine and in 10 years is destroying NASCAR track records.

Yea, they did that all by them selves in their own engineering dept. Give me a frigging break.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
True. Walmart did nearly half a trillion dollars in business last year. This suggests that most people actually couldn't care less about low wages, near-slave labor practices, or all the other things people whine about in regards to manufacturing and selling goods.

Yes, let's all continue to manipulate pricing on everything. We certainly need an even more artificial world economy.

I read elsewhere that this means Ford will no longer sell fullsized RWD cars. To me that is as sad as the factory closing.
Walmart's profit margin on all that revenue is about 4%. They sell a lot. But they aren't anywhere near as "greedy" as everyone's favorite company - Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln