Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

I have two properties in Illinois that I own. One is a 3-flat in Humboldt Park (west side of Chicago) and the other is a townhome in Itasca (northwest suburb).

I owe 273k on Chicago property and paid 360k for it in 2006.

I owe 208k on the Itasca property and paid 215k for it in 2003. I rent both out but live in one unit in Chicago property.

I have approached the lenders about modifications but have started talking to attorneys about doing a short sale (strategic default). My goal is to work with an attorney to drag the process out and continue to collect rents.

I found one attorney who will do it for 550 per month per property but this seems high to me. Granted I will save 1900 per property less the fee but still seems high.

Also, the attorney gets 10 percent of any principal reduction should we work out modification (highly doubtful but I wouldn't mind keeping the Itasca property).

What are other people doing to protect themselves in Illinois? My understanding is that people such as myself are able to drag this out 1-3 years depending on the lender and the situation.

I put 20 percent down on both properties so both notes were sold to investors and not held on the books of the loan providers.

What would others in my shoes do and what have other people done?

Also, how much of a hit to my credit should I expect?

I am willing to rent for a few years but would like to buy properties in the future.

I am willing to walk away from both properties or do a loan modification if it makes sense.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs