Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:26 PM

57 posts, read 267,835 times

Advertisements

I found a home that we are thinking about putting an offer on today. The listing agent was contacted and said that the property has gone into foreclosure. The listing agent, therefore, is not working with the property any longer. What do I do now? Who can I contact to find out the bank that has foreclosed on the property owner? How do I make an offer now? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,721 times
I am not sure if your agent can track this down, but there is also a website that you can do a free trial of and search for that house. Foreclosures Real Estate Foreclosure Listings and Homes at RealtyTrac I tried it out for a week and found some but they weren't the right home for us.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
RealtyTrac is normally terribly out of date. Your best hope is that the original agent can find out who the lender is.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
You should be able to check the local papers for the last several weeks as they are required by law to state that they will be auctioning a home. Locate the attorney that handles most of the auctions in that area for the banks, and see if the proeprty did or did not sell at the auction, or if it reverted to REO (real estate owned). If it is now an REO property, go to the county and find out what bank held the note. You can then call them and find out if they are willing to strike a deal.

You can also locate a good Real Estate agent to do all that work for you. I work a lot with REO's and HUD owned properties and do this often for buyers. Locate a good local agent that is familiar with this, maybe call and ask for a manager of the office and ask them to refer you to an agent that can help vice getting whatever agent is just next in the rotation.

Good luck, it can be time consuming and frustrating...but definitely worth it!

~Joey

Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginatl View Post
I found a home that we are thinking about putting an offer on today. The listing agent was contacted and said that the property has gone into foreclosure. The listing agent, therefore, is not working with the property any longer. What do I do now? Who can I contact to find out the bank that has foreclosed on the property owner? How do I make an offer now? Thank you for your help!

HELLO I'M A REALTOR IN MARTINSVILLE,VA. IS THE LISTING NOW UNDER HUD.GOV? WE AS REALTORS WAIT TIL ITS ON THAT SITE AND WE HAVE TO SUBMIT AN OFFER FOR YOU. WHAT IS THE ADDRESS OF THE PROPERTY?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
At this point your options are limited. Foreclosure can take several different forms and in a worst case scenario it could take over a year for it to go through the courts and back on the market. One of the things that might work for you is to contact the former owner, offer to buy their interest (this will give you "standing" and can be any amount....$1.00 and consideration), contact the lender, offer to bring the payments current and refinance within the next 30 days. If I wanted that property badly enough, I would hire an attorney to do this for me so it would show seriousness on my part.

You do know that there is a very good chance the house was refinanced at 110% recently and that values have dropped, and you may end up owning an overpriced pos, right?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM

92 posts, read 364,790 times
What is going on if the seller's realtor claims the bank holds the title free and clear, but court records show the foreclosure is still in progress?? There are secondary mortgages on this house, and pre- or post foreclosure makes a big difference...

Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Where I live the county clerk posts the next 30 days worth of foreclosures on their website. They list the $$$, lender, borrower, and date of foreclosure auction. We are bidding on a house next month. If you go this route, be sure to check for other liens on the property. Some will survive the foreclosure. This info is public record and is available to you at no cost.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineztoney View Post
HELLO I'M A REALTOR IN MARTINSVILLE,VA. IS THE LISTING NOW UNDER HUD.GOV? WE AS REALTORS WAIT TIL ITS ON THAT SITE AND WE HAVE TO SUBMIT AN OFFER FOR YOU. WHAT IS THE ADDRESS OF THE PROPERTY?
Provided it is a HUD owned property and not owned by whatever bank it was that that lended the money which most of the current foreclosures are because of the whole subprime lender ordeal. Those are the owner's that are really hurt right now due to all the 106% adjustable rate loans.

~joey

Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
The best advice given in this thread paraphrased, "find an agent highly involved in foreclosures." If you aggressively do so, you will find an agent who will see your hurdle as only a minor issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs