Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times

Advertisements

We made an offer on a SS that was accepted by the seller. We actually paid over their asking price so it would take care of what was owed on the loan, thus not a SS at least to the seller if it goes thru. The sellers asked if they could close 1 month from now to avoid the fees, etc. that would go along with their losses as opposed to closing 2 months from now. They request this early close and would rent back from us (at their suggestion) for that month. We looked at the rental market and came up with a fair pricefor them to rent it back ($1800). Apparently these folks are very cash strapped (but not my problem) and they countered with $200 and they would throw in their enormous gazebo that sits outside, which we have zero use for and are glad it will be gone actually. To me, this is not *renting back*.
what is a fair counter back? We think if they cant come up with the cash to rent then go with a close in 2 months (which is what they want to avoid).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
$1800 - less maybe a small percentage, say 10% or something?

What gain do you get for renting that below market. Not to mention you have a liability now.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM

We were even thinking $1500 but keep hearing from their agent how cash strapped they are. I get it, we have been there too but we are already doing them a favor by potentially taking a SS status off their hands

Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Since this is a short sale, I wouldn't trust them to leave at the agreed upon time after the rental period. I'd also be afraid they would damage the house before they left. This often happens when people have to move out for monetary reasons.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Since this is a short sale, I wouldn't trust them to leave at the agreed upon time after the rental period. I'd also be afraid they would damage the house before they left. This often happens when people have to move out for monetary reasons.
But at the price we are paying (basically their loan payoff to the bank) its not a SS anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
But at the price we are paying (basically their loan payoff to the bank) its not a SS anymore.
Why it's a ss than?

They can also change there mind and refuse to go with your offer if they are not agree with "rent" amount.... right? I wouldn't personally deal with short term rents like that anyways..

Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM

Its a SS because they stopped making their mortgage payments months ago. They also had it listed for $25k less than what we offered. The amount we offered was what was owed to the bank. They already accepted the offer as well

Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Copsgirl, I don't understand why you are even considering it. You paid for the house, they either pay or get out. I don't care about the circumstances.

Things to consider: Do you have insurance in case they cause damage? What if someone gets hurt in *your* house, are you insured if they sue you?

You'd have to write up a DETAILED rental agreement and probably have a lawyer look over it.

All over one month?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Copsgirl, I don't understand why you are even considering it. You paid for the house, they either pay or get out. I don't care about the circumstances.

Things to consider: Do you have insurance in case they cause damage? What if someone gets hurt in *your* house, are you insured if they sue you?

You'd have to write up a DETAILED rental agreement and probably have a lawyer look over it.

All over one month?
Youre right, having my REA look into this. I agree, cant pay - time to go

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
The whole thing stinks to me, based on the sellers "tude". It doesn't strike me or the others that have posted that you would get your house in the condition you expected when you bought it, if you rent to them. I would decline, respectfully, the rent back. I doubt they will cancel the sale it sounds like they are out of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs