Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,515,494 times

Advertisements

Think about it you can save even more of your money from work. You can get over the lack of a address with a PO Box.

So why don't more Americans RV it up instead of potentially spend more money by renting or taking on a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM

22,014 posts, read 13,047,113 times
I plan to RV full-time in retirement - at least until I decide on my next permanent location.

It must be something deeply ingrained in the American psyche, would be my guess. Or just that not many bother -- or are even able -- to think outside the box when it comes to much.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:06 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,488,511 times
Because living in an RV full time isn't fun for most people.

I don't think it has anything to do with the American psyche as the human psyche. Most people like to stay rooted. Have a place that is home that they find soothing and comfortable. An RV isn't either of those things.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 PM

6,835 posts, read 11,576,146 times
Most people want to have a living area greater than 500 sq ft, which is probably on the high side for an RV.

Have you priced RVs? Or campground fees? It's not as cheap as you think.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Most people want to have a living area greater than 500 sq ft, which is probably on the high side for an RV.

An RV is a one time fee that you can spend at least 5 years in before it needs replacement. A luxury RV has even more years of use. There are cheap campgrounds if you search for them. It may not be cheap but is spending $700+ a month just to live in an apartment any cheaper/better/smarter?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 PM

17,379 posts, read 22,137,311 times
RV's are small and inconvenient compared to brick and mortar real estate. Weather conditions and the sometimes shady folks at campgrounds makes it really a challenge for some folks.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,266,920 times
Trailer Houses are just RV's with the wheels off.

Millions of them through out the US.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,063,550 times
Only 7-10 mpg if lucky and not towing anything or going over a lot of hills?

real-life example: Our Gas RV MPG ? Fleetwood Bounder with Ford V10

Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,256,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

Actually, I believe the very largest are 400 sq ft. That's in the code; 400 sq ft is the maximum or it's not an RV. Or at least that was it a couple years ago, and I haven't heard that it's changed. And that does include slide-out floor space.

My wife and I want to get a nice 5th wheel for retirement, sell the house and just follow the warm weather. That's what RVs are for, imho. But to use them in a permanent location on a daily basis wouldn't be the best deal. In the first place, we live in Wyoming. It's difficult and expensive to keep them warm throughout the winter. Our low temps here often drop below -20F, and -30F a few times each winter isn't unusual. Wind chills can drop below -50F. NONE of the RVs are designed for that kind of weather.

A good full-time 5th wheel RV costs more than $100K new. (For motorhomes figure twice that.) Cheaper ones are just fine for summer camping, but they're not built for daily use. Carpets wear quickly, cabinets fall apart, sinks are thin plastic. Used ones, of course, are already worn.

Parking spaces in a nice RV park are not cheap. Figure $300-$400 minimum for most of them and $1,000 for many. That does not include propane costs, which can top $500/month in the winter. Some places also charge for electric, so summer cooling can be expensive too. These things are not that well insulated.

Depreciation is crazy. Buy a house, keep it a decade, and you can usually sell it for a tidy profit. Your $100K RV might be worth $20K at the end of a decade, so that's nearly $1000/month. Are you paying with cash or making payments?

Run the figures. Chances are, living in an RV will cost you more than living in a home 5 times its size and won't be nearly as comfortable. The up side? When you move or go on vacation just hook it up to your pickup and go. That's the only upside I can think of.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,314,494 times
I've full time RV'ed for two years while my wife was travel nursing across the western U.S. Here is why we don't anymore.

-Any decent campground runs at least $400 a month and usually more (paid $1200 a month for a contract in D.C.). Cheaper campgrounds = Cheaper people and services ( not that I judge but literally have stayed in campgrounds where it is meth city).
-You have no control over your outside space. Literally anyone can pull in and be your neighbor. Loud, dirty, nosy people, etc, you have no control, although you can move.
-We had a huge 5th wheel (5 slides 400 square feet). It was plenty big enough for day to do living but again no privacy due to tight quarters in campgrounds. Never really quite felt at home. It wasn't the size, just where you were limited to parking it if you want the full hookups that is the problem.

Living in an RV would be ideal only for wanderlust retirees who could move at least every two weeks or so. Living in the same campground for 3 months (length of travel nurse contract) becomes depressing to say the least.

With all that said when I am financially independent I plan on buying an RV. No 5th wheels, they are OK but the whole time you will be thinking "man I really wish I had a Class A motorhome". Also I plan to boondock and stay on the move. For 95-99% of american's full time RVing does make financial or practical sense.

Having a "home base" and the freedom to move around at will (no job) would be the only way to successfully full time RV IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs