Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:31 PM

166 posts, read 191,251 times

Advertisements

so my realtor told me today that the biggest hurdle in the particular house im looking to buy is that it is underpriced, and that even if they accept my offer and go into contract, eventually the bank that owns the home will get an appraisal and when they do, it will be for alot more than the accepted offer, and they are going to ask for more money, back out of the deal and relist it for a higher price.

Is she right? maybe she just means back out of the offer agreement, which i understand is not binding, but the contract?? can they really back out of the contract after both parties sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 03:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
You need to understand if you're talking about a foreclosure or a short sale. With a foreclosure, they've already gotten an appraisal and have run the numbers. They know the value.

With a short sale, the seller still owns the house. The seller can accept whatever offer they want and make it a contract, but it doesn't mean the bank will approve the sale.

You have more questions to ask your agent to know which situation you're in.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You need to understand if you're talking about a foreclosure or a short sale. With a foreclosure, they've already gotten an appraisal and have run the numbers. They know the value.

With a short sale, the seller still owns the house. The seller can accept whatever offer they want and make it a contract, but it doesn't mean the bank will approve the sale.

You have more questions to ask your agent to know which situation you're in.
its a foreclosure, the old owners are out. the person that showed me the house said its a bank owned house.

she said sold as regular house except its "as is" and its winterized.

the bank paid a fortune for the house in court or whatever b/c the old owner must have had so many years of unpaid taxes and mortgages, etc.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
its a foreclosure, the old owners are out. the person that showed me the house said its a bank owned house.

she said sold as regular house except its "as is" and its winterized.

the bank paid a fortune for the house in court or whatever b/c the old owner must have had so many years of unpaid taxes and mortgages, etc.

Write your offer.
When you get a contract, you will have set a contract price. The bank won't be able to just arbitrarily raise the contract price, unless you agree to it, either in an addendum, or a proprietary form.

The bank has already done their valuation, and they know what they want from the property.

YOUR lender (a bank?) will likely require an appraisal, but that is between you and your lender and is confidential information.

Write your offer.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Write your offer.
When you get a contract, you will have set a contract price. The bank won't be able to just arbitrarily raise the contract price, unless you agree to it, either in an addendum, or a proprietary form.

The bank has already done their valuation, and they know what they want from the property.

YOUR lender (a bank?) will likely require an appraisal, but that is between you and your lender and is confidential information.

Write your offer.
okay thats what i had thought, planning on discussing again with my realtor tomorrow. i must have mis-understood her.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
It also may be underpriced because the bank knows of some issues with the house as they generally put the price at the value minus repair costs.

I am in escrow now for a house at about $45k that will have a value of about $100k after it is fixed up. But the bank does not do any repairs and it needs lots.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:23 PM

777 posts, read 2,381,618 times
Echoing what was said above. If its truly a bank owned property, the bank has already had a broker price opinion performed (sometimes several by different agents), so they know what the property is worth. It's short sales where agents/sellers can come up with their own list price, but the bank still has to approve it and if it comes back too high, they could raise the list price.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM

yea it was clarified to me that, what she means is that they may do another appraisal before they sign the contracts, and if thats the case, they will likely back out of the deal and ask for more money, change the list price etc.

but i dont think they would do this, b/c they just listed the house a month ago.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,380 times
I've done plenty of foreclosures and never had a single one ask for more money after the contract was accepted, doesn't even make sense to me. Now they could ask for more BEFORE accepting the contract but if its too much, you can say no.

If its just listed and really cheap, the price can skyrocket due to competing offers but they don't normally change the listing price or anything, they just take the best offer.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:56 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
yea it was clarified to me that, what she means is that they may do another appraisal before they sign the contracts, and if thats the case, they will likely back out of the deal and ask for more money, change the list price etc.

but i dont think they would do this, b/c they just listed the house a month ago.
If it's been listed for a month, it's probably not that great of a deal otherwise someone would have jumped on it already. Tread carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs