Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to help out a friend and her family, they rented a home gave deposits/1st/last and now found out that the property owners haven't paid the mortgage for awhile and that the home is in foreclosure, the property taxes have not been paid for this year also. They were told not to pay anymore rent as the property owner is not using the money to pay the mortgage, and just wait till someone comes with a court order to get out.

All their money that they have is tied up with this home, any suggestions on what they should do? With two children I think they have some rights and can't be forced out immediately?

What should she do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
This is a tough one. They could kill utilities at any point and your folks would have to get out. If the owner has their money and they are forced out by the bank they maybe SOL.

If they are not paying rent & living there free, they might consider that as their deposit refunds.

The clock is ticking and they may be forced out of the house. Or they may get several months of free rent.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
First off, you're in Florida, right? They can't just shut the utilities off. The bank, should they repossess would have to give them notice to vacate.
Who has their security deposit? Who advised them to 'stop paying'? They are in contract with the owner of the property. If the owner is or isn't paying their mortgage with the rental money they are collecting is not their business, nor does it relieve them from following through on their contract. For all anyone knows the owners could be working out a loan modification with the bank.
If they rented through a property management company their security deposit should be secure.
They should call an attorney or call the housing authority to find out what their rights actually are, who, if anyone they can sue for damages, etc.

Last edited by palmcoasting; 06-01-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: can't spell. :)

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,035 times
So.. I go to this bike shop, or car dealership or grocery store etc.. I discover that owner of said establishment is taking the money from sales and going on vacation instead of putting the money back into the business. So does that mean I get the bike or car or groceries for free?

Other points- how do they know the owner is really in default. Did the owner tell the renters that? Was it a rumor? Did the renters see a notice? If there was a notice, still how do they know? Maybe the bank made a mistake? Even if the owners were in default - there might be a deal worked out (as someone posted earlier).
Also, how do the renters know that their money wasn't used for the mortgage. A lot of landlords are taking in rent that is less than the mortgage. Maybe the owners were putting all the rent and then some towards the mortgage but it still wasn't enough.

I just read an article by Benny J Kass (attorney) about this. According to him, it depends on the state, but there are generally rules in place that protect a renter until the end of the lease.

Last point - do the renters really want an eviction on their record?

They just need to keep really good receipts - pay by check or credit card only.

Good luck!

Last edited by shenane; 06-01-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 05:01 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,035 times
Also.. if the owner is having trouble paying the mortgage now, imagine how much trouble they are going to have if they don't get the rent any more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
So.. I go to this bike shop, or car dealership or grocery store etc.. I discover that owner of said establishment is taking the money from sales and going on vacation instead of putting the money back into the business. So does that mean I get the bike or car or groceries for free?

Other points- how do they know the owner is really in default. Did the owner tell the renters that? Was it a rumor? Did the renters see a notice? If there was a notice, still how do they know? Maybe the bank made a mistake? Even if the owners were in default - there might be a deal worked out (as someone posted earlier).
Also, how do the renters know that their money wasn't used for the mortgage. A lot of landlords are taking in rent that is less than the mortgage. Maybe the owners were putting all the rent and then some towards the mortgage but it still wasn't enough.

I just read an article by Benny J Kass (attorney) about this. According to him, it depends on the state, but there are generally rules in place that protect a renter until the end of the lease.

Last point - do the renters really want an eviction on their record?

They just need to keep really good receipts - pay by check or credit card only.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
I had a similar question from a neighbor. The were served foreclosure papers as being the tenants and didn't know what to do....If they stop paying the rent they can get bad credit, which they don't want...what will happen to their security deposit...so they are moving out and won't pay last months rent so the owner can use that for the last months rent.... Some renters can stay for a year since foreclosures can take very long, but it is a very unsure thing and not very pleasent idea to have to go to bed and think about what will be the next day.... The tenants I know wanted to make even an offer on the home but the owner rather files for bankruptcy and doesn't want to do a short sale.....which to me sounds impossible since he has an income from the rent, but I don't know much about bankruptcy....

Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
First off, you're in Florida, right? They can't just shut the utilities off. The bank, should they repossess would have to give them notice to vacate.
Who has their security deposit? Who advised them to 'stop paying'? They are in contract with the owner of the property. If the owner is or isn't paying their mortgage with the rental money they are collecting is not their business, nor does it relieve them from following through on their contract. For all anyone knows the owners could be working out a loan modification with the bank.
If they rented through a property management company their security deposit should be secure.
They should call an attorney or call the housing authority to find out what their rights actually are, who, if anyone they can sue for damages, etc.
Thank you for your comments, an attorney told them not to pay, they've gone to three attorneys and gotten three different answers. The property management company had no idea that the house was already in foreclosure when they rented it to my friends. I will pass along all of the comments to my friends. Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
From ,what I understand, by law, they can't collect rent if the house is in foreclosure. I have a friend that has a friend who got caught doing this and now is spending 5 years in jail. So, it's a sticky siuation.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
From ,what I understand, by law, they can't collect rent if the house is in foreclosure. I have a friend that has a friend who got caught doing this and now is spending 5 years in jail. So, it's a sticky siuation.
Can you explain that? How is it illegal for the owner of the house to collect rent payments? They own the house. It's their property.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
The property management company had no idea that the house was already in foreclosure when they rented it to my friends.
That, IMO, is unforgivable. I run any house coming to me for rent through the records to make sure there is no lis pendens filed on it. I interview the owners as much as I do the tenants. It's part of what a property manager is supposed to be doing. What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs