Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:45 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

Bargain hunter there is NOD (Notice of Default), Auction, then REO. The Notice of Default gets served when the seller is behind in their payments. This is usually the trigger for most short sales. The seller still owns the home, but the lender has to agree to take the loss. If a house is not sold during the NOD period it goes to auction on the courthouse steps.

In Salem, OR you have to have CASH to buy a house at auction on the courthouse steps. They check you for the amount when you come. No check. No bidding. I imagine this varies from locality to locality.

The bank sets the opening bid amount. If no bidders, then bank takes the house and clears the title. Then it is an REO.

There are trustee sales and judicial foreclosures, which out here, have different ramifications. It's a whole complicated thing and you need some guidance if you want to pursue this avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 03:13 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Can someone explain an REO? I realize its real estate owned? but what exactly does that mean. The real estate company is the seller and they bought if from original seller?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
No it means Real Estate Owned by the bank. The bank owns the house.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:48 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No it means Real Estate Owned by the bank. The bank owns the house.
Ok makes sense, so the property was forclosed on and the bank has it back. Do the banks sometimes take a loss after getting the property back , when they sell it?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
For laymen, REO means the bank.

Technically, REO means the property is owned by the entity that owned the mortgage at the time of default. A lot of times these are trusts (i.e., Real Estate Investment Trust or REITs), mortgage companies, securities, lenders, and other non-bank entities.

That's the reason they call them REO rather than bank-owned - because a bank may not own it even thought it was foreclosed.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:09 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Lots of information over here to get you started:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...ffs-sales.html

and here

//www.city-data.com/forum/sprin...ringfield.html

Last edited by OneDayAttaTime; 11-16-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: added second link

Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Ok makes sense, so the property was forclosed on and the bank has it back. Do the banks sometimes take a loss after getting the property back , when they sell it?
Yes.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Most of the times there has been 2 mortgages in place and the second mortgage holder is already losing....the primary mortgage owner ownes the deed and unless they sell it with a loss, the won't sell it at all...in todays market....it all depends on the comp. sales value (what the property looks like and how far it is in distress, etc.) and how eager the bank is to sell the property.

And how much cash you bring with you

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I deal every day with foreclosures, REO's and bank owned property. I do indeed get paid for selling their property. More importantly I find my clients homes with equity, potential for positive cash flow, fixer and flip possibilities or what ever their strategy is. I suggest the home investor to take 1 approach and do it repeatedly, you will become very wealthy over time. Make a plan of what to do and follow it.
I know our market here has so many opportunities. homes selling for 1/2 their worth. I know of a fixer that should net over $600,000. You would be amazed at what is out there. Get an agent that knows how to work with investors. agents that have invested tend to know more about it.

Take action and go find someone to help you with your goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs