Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Under new Miami-Dade County law, foreclosed homes will be subject to county code inspections and sellers required to disclose any violations — and cost estimates for fixing them — to potential buyers up front.
Another new measure requires lenders to maintain foreclosed properties once vacated.
The legislation morphed Tuesday from proposed laws that would have made code compliance up to owners before a sale and property maintenance up to lenders upon filing for foreclosure.
Commissioner Natacha Seijas originally proposed the ordinance that would have forbidden the sale of a residence until the purchaser on the certificate of title obtained a certificate of use from the county determining that the residence complied with applicable building and zoning codes.
Commissioners, staffers and housing industry players applauded her intention — to protect buyers from surprise code enforcement costs after a sale — but pointed out several "unintended consequences."

Miami-Dade County OKs code rules on foreclosed homes

click on the link to read more.

I guess this will change the market.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Interesting.

As a prospective buyer, my lender requires that my home meets city housing codes, which rules out nearly all of the "as-is" properties in my market.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
GOOD!! maybe those lenders will be a little more agreeable when that start adding that line item to their spread sheet; ie.
line item #39: maintaining property $xxx
line item #40: fixing property so it can sell after denying the short sale and really making the owner mad, so they trashed the house: $xxxxxxxxxxxx

shelly

Old 12-09-2008, 05:27 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
The commissioner thinks this will slow down getting homes back on the market. I disagree. The more legal responsibility put on the banks to maintain these properties, they may feel pressured to just get it fixed and out of their hair. Hopefully.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I think banks should take care of property they now own. Nothing wrong with that seeing they are holding onto them and letting them fall into disrepair and that itself brings down the neighborhood values.

Maybe it will give them incentive to unload the house quicker and not hold on to it hoping the government will buy it or prices will shoot up tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,889 times
I think this is great and generally really good.

The only thing to consider is the other side of the coin. This is an additional expense banks will incur when they own foreclosed homes. So they will need to charge an appropriate interest rate to cover this risk (up it slightly). So it will ever so slightly drive up the cost of borrowing money secured by a residence.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM

I say we defy them and refuse to borrow at all. THat'll show them.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Next to me is a bankowned for over a year now and it isn't listed at all! The bank has some bad lawn company coming out to mow and they ruin the grass and they are more interested to make a pic. to send to the bank. The pics are made from an angle so you won't see how bad it looks and from a distance without using the zoom. There are bee nest's, dead sod, old newspapers laying on the porch and other bug nest's inside the home....A couple of days ago they didn't even mow (Thank G..) since the sod is just coming back little by little, and they just made a pic. so theyy can get their money and still the HOA has to send a guy to maintain it and the HOA is sending a bill to the bank...so what a waste of money!

I have no clue why the bank hasn't even listed it, but this is one of 5 properties in my sub community that are bank owned and not listed.......makes you think what theses banks are doing?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
GOOD!! maybe those lenders will be a little more agreeable when that start adding that line item to their spread sheet; ie.
line item #39: maintaining property $xxx
line item #40: fixing property so it can sell after denying the short sale and really making the owner mad, so they trashed the house: $xxxxxxxxxxxx

shelly
Lots of people trash the house anyway, even those that never return ANY loss mitigation calls or attempt to work anything out with the bank.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 PM

This is from October of last year but the theme is similar.

City Hopes New Law Will Get Banks to Maintain Foreclosed Properties - Codes And Standards, Business, Sales, Mortgages And Banking, Development, Lenders - Builder Magazine (http://www.builderonline.com/codes-and-standards/city-hopes-new-law-will-get-banks-to-maintain-foreclosed-properties.aspx?rssLink=City+Hopes+New+Law+Will+Ge t+Banks+to+Maintain+Foreclosed+Properties - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs