Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM

34 posts, read 200,640 times

Advertisements

We made an offer on an REO property that was accepted by the bank--but only if we use them for our mortgage.

If we want to use our own lender, they won't allow the 3% closing cost credit that was written into the contract.

Our agent is not happy at all. The price that we offered is too high if the 3% credit gets taken away, and so our only options seem to be:
1. Let the REO bank force us to use them for our loan
-or-
2. Rewrite the offer without the closing cost credit, and lower the price.

We don't know what to do. So far, we haven't been very impressed with the employees at the bank, and depending on them for our loan seems risky. How can we know for sure that we are getting a fair deal if we have to use them?

On the other hand, we are worried that if we rewrite the offer and refuse to use them for the loan, we will lose the house, because there are other offers on the property.

We really like the house and don't want to lose the house just because we're being stubborn. Is there a real danger in not having a choice of who to use for our loan?

Anyone had this experience before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM

573 posts, read 1,690,335 times
It doesn't really sound like you are forced into using them as your lender, more like they will give you 3% in closing costs if you do. I would assume it would be illegal for them to force you to use them.

If it's a house you really want, either bite that 3% or try to get with another lender who can do fast approvals/close. But if there are other offers on the property, it really depends on how bad you want the house. Just my 2 cents. Good luck either way!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
They aren't forcing you, they are giving you a choice. The bank is a business and they are making a business decision. They can make up the 3% loss to you in interest and other fees. If you use someone else they can't do that.

I see enticements to use the REO lender, and I would expect to see more of this as time goes on.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Okay, thanks for pointing out that they aren't actually forcing us to go with them--it just feels that way!
We are still trying to decide what to do.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM

196 posts, read 574,553 times
But isn't it still in negotiation then? If your offer includes "3% towards closing costs" in the contract (without the stipulation of having to use them) and they come back with "3% only if you use us". Can't you just counter with a 3% lower offer?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag25 View Post
Okay, thanks for pointing out that they aren't actually forcing us to go with them--it just feels that way!
We are still trying to decide what to do.
Look at it this way.

If this is a $200,000 house, they are paying you $6000 to use them as your lender.

If the rates and closing costs are equal to who you were going to use then it is a no brainer.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,986 times
I wonder why your agent didn't know in advance that the closing 'discount' only applied if you used them. Or was that something you asked for and they agreed only if you use them?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Our agent didn't know in advance, and that is part of the problem. We would've lowered our offer price instead of asking for closing costs, if we had known earlier about that stipulation.

And I also wonder if we had made a lesser offer without asking for the closing costs, if they might've offered them anyway as an incentive to use their lending department.

It doesn't help our decision that this mortgage company has a terrible reputation.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
Wouldn't this be a HUD violation?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,986 times
Ok, I get it now. You wrote up an offer and asked for them to pay your closing costs. They said they'll pay them if you use their funding, otherwise, no. So, it wasn't a discount offered in advance, it was just you asking for a seller concession. Hmm, I never heard of a bank doing that.

Quote:
Wouldn't this be a HUD violation?
I think so, although I'm not sure. It sounds like it's going through a asset management company and they are trying to steal the loan? I dunno. Sounds a little snakey to me. I wonder if one of the mortgage people on here will chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs