Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:32 AM

57 posts, read 205,222 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're potential buyers and plan to submit a full-price offer via our buyer's agent on a short sale property. We understand the bank has already approved the asking price. Our only quibble - the listing broker/agent (of a limited service/entry-only brokerage) states that the buyer must pay a 5% cash fee to his company in addition to the accepted offer price. 2.5% will be used to compensate the buyer's agent.

We're not wild about giving up cash for no equity in this "cash is king" environment. Has anyone else ever seen this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
I would tell him to sod off and move on. There are plenty of homes to buy that don't include these extra costs.

eta: oops, I just realized I responded to the real estate professionals forum. Sorry!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 AM

We want to submit an offer and not pay the fee. They're bound to present all offers, aren't they? Alternatively, we'd go above asking price and roll some commission into the loan, but I think because he's a flat-fee broker, he wouldn't then see a dime of it.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
You have no contractual obligation to pay that fee unless you sign something agreeing to pay that fee. Purchase and sale agreements are between buyers and sellers not agents.

Just because you might predominantly do flat rates doesn't mean anything with regard to this contract. The listing contract would be for 5% instead of the flat rate. They would still get the money.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You

Just because you might predominantly do flat rates doesn't mean anything with regard to this contract. The listing contract would be for 5% instead of the flat rate. They would still get the money.
I have no problem with them getting the money - in fact, I'd prefer everyone be getting paid and have an incentive to make this deal move forward. It's just that the listing states buyer "must" pay fee to listing agent in addition to approved offer, and the fee has to be in cash. Doesn't even seem legal to me. Unless the agent promised the bank/seller "no commission fees if you pick me."

Old 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
You can make most things legal with a contract. Our contracts state that if it isn't in the contract, then it doesn't matter. So write an addendum that states that you won't pay the fee.

If you don't have an agent or an attorney you sound like you need help navigating an offer on this property. Also, it probably violates the MLS rules for the listing agent to state that in there. I know it would violate our rules. The MLS is a co-operative which has rules. It isn't just a database.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks, Silverfall.

Offer written up with said addendum - seller to pay listing agent fee and appropriate commission to buyer's agent. Now we wait...

I guess I'm wondering why the listing brokerage would do this...seems like it's shooting themselves in the proverbial foot. They have to present the offer, correct?

Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
If it's a short sale I don't understand
1-why the listing agent isn't getting the bank to pay the fee
and
2-why the seller went with a limited service company since they aren't getting back anything regardless.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If it's a short sale I don't understand
1-why the listing agent isn't getting the bank to pay the fee
and
2-why the seller went with a limited service company since they aren't getting back anything regardless.
You and me both. But it is a short sale, and we were informed that the bank has already approved the existing asking price. The language in the listing says something along the lines of buyer to pay x% commission in addition to price.

We've drafted an offer stating that the seller is responsible for listing agent fee and buyer's agent commission. I just want to make damn sure that this offer makes it to the bank. We may call the bank directly next week to be sure. We'll also be chatting with a RE attorney sooner rather than later.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
If it's listed in the local MLS, the listing broker is obligated to pay the buyers agent and should not affect the purchase price of the house. In our MLS area that is not a negotiable issue.

But in reality, everything is negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs