Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times

Advertisements

Foreclosed Homes, Condos, Commercial Real Estate, Foreclosure Property, Note and Loan Sales, Short Sales, Land Auctions and More... (http://www.auction.com/residential-auction - broken link)

I am intrigued. There is a bank owned house I have had saved on my redfin favorites, just to watch for awhile and track the market (its in one of my two ideal neighborhoods ). DOMP is 183. The MLS price is $525k; its listed on this site with an opening bid of $250k.

We could likely qualify for $250k-$300k right now, even given our current mortgage (we like to buy way below our max) and second home rates. Heck, we could probably come up with that in cash if we sweet talked our parents and used all our cash. It needs lots of work, but thats not an issue (husband in the trades). From the pictures I've seen (not MLS, another website), it appears to be livable until we could cash out this house and do the work it needs.

Anyway, I know what they say... if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. But man... if I could get that house for $300k (and its structurally sound and water tight - thats our only requirement) I would be jumping for joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 04:27 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Check out if it is an absolute auction.
I suspect not.

I think you will find that the auction price must be approved by the bank.
All you get by being top bidder is a bank review of the offered price.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Thats a good point, one that I thought of on my way home from the show we just went to. And I'm not totally crazy, I know there is a slim to none chance I could actually get it for that price. But a girl can dream LOL

Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
Buyer's will pay a 10% buyers premium at REDC. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid! 95%+ of there auctioned homes do not close. When the come back on the regular market, just factor in what the highest bid was. I saved several thousand doing this. Used it against them. "It's obviously only worth this much if the highest bid was this......." Greedy people trying to start a bidding war.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Buyer's will pay a 10% buyers premium at REDC. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid! 95%+ of there auctioned homes do not close. When the come back on the regular market, just factor in what the highest bid was. I saved several thousand doing this. Used it against them. "It's obviously only worth this much if the highest bid was this......." Greedy people trying to start a bidding war.
Thanks! Thats a good strategy The site says its only 5% buyer's premium, but still. And I did confirm there is a reserve.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
I was at one of the ones they had here in SoCal last year ... it wasn't worth it.

I had my hand up for all of about .2 seconds for a house that was a block from where I used to live. $119k to start, the area comped out to $350k. Sounds good, right?

Outside, the property did look pretty good. The previous owners had all of the windows replaced, and the exterior was repainted by the HOA just 2 months prior. Except for the tall grass and the garage door, it had good curb appeal.

Inside, OTOH, was a giant mess. We're talking all original 1975 - kitchen, bathrooms, even the carpet. There were active plumbing leaks (lower level flooring was soggy wet during the open house), damaged 2nd floor subfloors, visible mold, and a roof leak because of the ceiling stains. There were walls that had to be replaced, and the cracked swimming pool was a major liability.

I was targeting $200k for all the work needed. After a couple rounds, two parties got into a bidding war and the hammer dropped at $330k!

I doubt either party was there for the open house ... and prolly upon further inspection, the "winning buyer" forfeiting the 5% deposit was the cheapest way out. Three weeks later, it was on the MLS ... at $329,900. Convenient, isn't it? Ultimately, it sat for six more months, and some one actually bought it at $320k. Sure enough, many contractors and 3 giant dumpsters later, the buyers were actually moved in. How much they spent, I dunno, but IMHO, they would've been better off if they had just spent more on a better house to begin with.

With a REO or short sale, you're able to do some negotiations. There are none when it comes to auctions. Are there deals with such auctions? Yes. Is it worth the limitations, where the contract is pretty much one-sided and everything is absolutely AS-IS, even the legal aspects? Not likely for a regular homebuyer.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
All true. You have even less rights than when you just sign away all of your rights as an REO buyer, and this includes the inspection period. The forfeiture money is their holy grail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs