Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM

149 posts, read 346,877 times

Advertisements

Big Banks Accused of Short Sale Fraud - CNBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
I bet no one is paying attention.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM

53 posts, read 215,044 times
Just another reason to no trust the banks! They tax our tax dollars, pay big bonuses and screw the little guy!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
Why only blaming the banks...what about realtors who agree on doing it. If no one is doing it the story wouldn't be written, there are 2 to tango....

Old 01-17-2010, 06:00 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,978,734 times
If there is one area I really support the government getting involved in real estate, it would be cleaning up the short sale procedure of the banks. I say this only because the banks have proven themselves quite inept of being able to do it themselves, or even run a business in general.

Bentlebee, first of all the Realtors aren't the making the demand, it's coming from the 2nd lien holder. However, you have a good question and the 2nd lien holder puts the Realtor in a bind. I'm not going to say right or wrong, but I'm simply going to pose 2 common questions and let readers draw their own conclusions. Realtors know that banks won't consider a short sale unless a payment has been missed. If there is a legit short sale need, should the Realtor suggest the seller miss a payment? Legally, probably not a good move. Morally, you tell me. Now jumping ahead we have a chance to avoid foreclosure but only if someone pays the 2nd lien holder something but it can't be on the HUD. The buyer wants the house, the seller avoids foreclosure, the agent gets paid. Alternatively, if it's on the HUD the deal is dead or if it's not paid the deal is dead. Legally, it can't be paid but if it is buyer gets a home and seller avoids foreclosure. What is in the best interest of the seller in that scenario and how should the agent advise? I don't know, just asking so you tell me.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why only blaming the banks...what about realtors who agree on doing it. If no one is doing it the story wouldn't be written, there are 2 to tango....
Agree on doing what?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:05 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Realtors aren't doing it as much as taking it - in the shorts.

We work hard - for months, calling every week, faxing authorization letters, forms, updating financials over and over.

Only to get an approval letter from the first that doesn't let the 2nd have any. Or the second waits until we have approval for the first and demand 10% - or flat out say no.

The 2nds relish their roles as the spoiler.

The sellers want out, buyers want in. Banks have idiotic processes.

We didn't get in bed with the banks, we didn't cause the lender to make "bad" loans (a lot of these are refi's) we did not cause the economy to falter.

I have never seen such insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs