Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times

Advertisements

My husband has a property in AZ which he bought before we got married and co-owns with two other people, who now can no longer pay their part. So we have to short sale. I do not want to pay for the $100K difference between the short sale price and the mortgage on this home, because my name is not on any document related to the house. I know that the other two co-owners will NOT pay for their part of the 100K difference. I am afraid the bank will come after me/DH for the entire amount, because our monthly expenditures are low. To prevent this from happening, we need to get a home so that we can increase our monthly expenditures when we go to short sale. The other co-owners already have a home and their budget is already stretched.

We do not have a house right now and have been living way under our means for years just to save up money. We had been looking to buy for the last 2 years before this all went down.

My question is this: Will the banks reject our short sale terms if we bought a home now? How long after we buy a home will it be safe to start the short sale process and not make the bank mad?

I need to not to get screwed by this. Most of the money in our assets is technically mine and I did not suffer through the last 10 years just to have it depleted in such a way. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Your hubby and the other owners are responsible for the property and the loan. He will not be allowed to buy a home with government backed financing for 2 years, and then it will still be difficult.

Do you live in the area? Was it an investment property? Since you have cash, why not get the loan current and have the other owners quit claim it to you?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Can you just buy the new house in your name?

Absolutely they can come after your hubby and the partners. Do they own it as a corporation?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
What is the actual market value of the house?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 AM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
This is an interesting situation. I don't know anything about it, but, if I were in your shoes, I might consider getting a lawyer, to make sure I understand the risks.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
This is an interesting situation. I don't know anything about it, but, if I were in your shoes, I might consider getting a lawyer, to make sure I understand the risks.

A good CPA is important as well as the tax implications could be huge here.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
My husband has a property in AZ which he bought before we got married and co-owns with two other people, who now can no longer pay their part. So we have to short sale. I do not want to pay for the $100K difference between the short sale price and the mortgage on this home, because my name is not on any document related to the house. I know that the other two co-owners will NOT pay for their part of the 100K difference. I am afraid the bank will come after me/DH for the entire amount, because our monthly expenditures are low. To prevent this from happening, we need to get a home so that we can increase our monthly expenditures when we go to short sale. The other co-owners already have a home and their budget is already stretched.

We do not have a house right now and have been living way under our means for years just to save up money. We had been looking to buy for the last 2 years before this all went down.

My question is this: Will the banks reject our short sale terms if we bought a home now? How long after we buy a home will it be safe to start the short sale process and not make the bank mad?

I need to not to get screwed by this. Most of the money in our assets is technically mine and I did not suffer through the last 10 years just to have it depleted in such a way. Thanks for any advice.
A few things:

You live in Arizona, a non- recourse state. So you may be fine just letting it go into foreclosure as long as you did not cash out refinance to buy non-home releated improvement (Cars, TVs, pay credit card debt) but consult an attorney first. I don't think they can go after you for anything more than your home. That's why you see so many foreclosures in California and Arizona (both non-recourse loan states)

Second. If you live in Flagstaff, See IRS Publication 4681, Page 11 (amended 12/11/08). The IRS ruled that even Investment homes can have debt forgiven as part of the Mortgage and Forgiveness Act of 2007.

Third. Can you afford the new home under your name only with just your own income? That's an option.

Fourth. Can you and your husband afford both homes with both your incomes, while putting down at least 20% down for the second home? That's another option. The lenders will exclude any potential rental income from the investment home since there's no equity.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM

79 posts, read 418,372 times
It is virtually impossible to do a short sale if you have assets. The lender will simply not approve it.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Frankly, y'all are responsible for the house and shame on you for walking away from that responsibility.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

Do you live in the area? Was it an investment property? Since you have cash, why not get the loan current and have the other owners quit claim it to you?
I think this is not good advice. Why would someone want to take a property that 100K underwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Frankly, y'all are responsible for the house and shame on you for walking away from that responsibility.
How is this the OP's fault? Her husband bought this before they were married on his own. She shouldn't have to deplete her assets because her husband made a bad investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs