Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 AM

11 posts, read 33,281 times

Advertisements

We just listed our house as a short sale. Our realtor is bringing an offer to us tomorrow, and wouldnt you know? Our AC unit died.! Our good friend has been band-aid fixing it for us for a few years now, because we could never afford a new unit.Well it can no longer be fixed, it must be replaced. Just to add.. our friend is a licensed AC repair man, ad if there was another band aid to use, he would!
what do I do?
I dont want to put any money into this house, because I dont have it!!! Especially if its going thru the short sale process.
However, I dont think my family can live without AC, becuase its summertime and we are in South Carolina! However, we all know how long this process is, so we have to live without it all summer.
Also, what to do with the offer? The buyers dont know it isnt working, because it was just on Friday when they came thru here!DO we tell them before signing the offer, or wait for inspection to pick it up so they can adjust their offer?
Or do we suck it up and replace it, for our own comfort of living here thry the summer?
What do we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
Tell them the AC broke and you can't afford to fix it. I bought a short and knew full well before I bought it that it needed a 10k roof. After inspection found another 2-3k worth of fixes and asked for no repairs because I knew (thought) the seller didn't have the money and I wanted the house. I even offered over asking on the bank approved amount to seal the deal.

If they are getting a great price, as I would expect with it being a short sale, it may not be a problem. Just be honest. An inspector probably would have caught that it needed replacing anyway.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You say your family can't live without AC for the summer. Seems like you answered your own question.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM

178 posts, read 540,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsemk View Post
The buyers dont know it isnt working, because it was just on Friday when they came thru here!DO we tell them before signing the offer, or wait for inspection to pick it up so they can adjust their offer? Or do we suck it up and replace it, for our own comfort of living here thry the summer? What do we do?
If I were facing a long hot Carolinian summer in your situation, I'd ask my A/C friend for a quote on replacing the unit as inexpensively as possible. Or could you do with a few window units - but that will also be money thrown away, unless your next abode doesn't have central air.

There's no point in keeping back info from the buyers. They know you're in a tight spot and offered in good faith (we hope). Have you talked with your agent about this?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
You should disclose the true condition of the property and its inclusions at all times to your agent and their agent, preferably in writing.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 33,281 times
Im sorry,I didnt mean to make it seem as if I was trying to hide it from them.. what I guess I was asking was do I tell them now before we sign our contract, or wait til the inspection, which I know would only delay the short sale process.
Im going to talk to my realtor today, but she was out of town..
Right now, our AC guy got it working AGAIN! , but it wont cool it below 80*, so I guess we can live with it.. but I am sure it will be dead before closing. SO I guess when we get the offer tomorrow, we will just have to tell them the situation and see if theyre still interested.

Thanks..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:00 PM

244 posts, read 747,739 times
Disclose it and let them know you can nit afford to fix it. Then offer them a home warranty with a pre-existing conditions clause. This cost about $525 which does not get paid until closing. I don;t see the bank fighting that charge too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs