Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM

31 posts, read 95,471 times

Advertisements

I am coming from out of state and choosing between Fort Collins and Boulder as a place to retire. If money wasn't an issue what city would you prefer to live in and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
If money were no object I'd end up in Boulder for the proximity to Denver, good transit to/from Denver, nearness to mountains, eateries, and being near the university.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Wow that's a simplified question

FoCo all the way. Boulder is way too pretentious. And the city always feels sandy to me.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 17,162 times
I almost got a job in FoCo. I liked it better then Boulder because of the size and the cost of living. FoCo has a great biking infrastructure in place!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I would live in Fort Collins. It is much more relaxing place with more of small western town feel. Boulder is a very agitated place with aggressive competitive people; too much traffic with heavy use on the trails and parks. It certainly is not a peaceful little town. Boulder does have better public transit with good connections to Denver. Actually, being a senior, I would live in Loveland--even more relaxing and you would still have access to Fort Collins.

Livecontent

Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
There are quite a few threads on general differences between the towns. But since you mentioned retirement specifically: Fort Collins is more affordable while Boulder is better for getting around without a car. If money isn't an object I personally think Boulder has more to offer (specifically: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ml#post7088514). But I wouldn't retire in either one, since I have no desire to shovel snow when I'm in my sixties. Plus there are a lot of autumn chores associated with yards because people are so intent on recreating the eastern look (and don't get me started on lawns). But if you had a condo with a garage you could minimize the extra work associated with living in a snow climate.

Last edited by xeric; 06-05-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

16 posts, read 35,951 times
Boulder is more vibrant and attractive; Fort Collins more laid back, and in my opinion, isolating. People keep to themselves more in FTC. Boulder has more hustle and bustle, which I find invigorating. So it depends on what you are looking for. . . .

Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaughlin View Post
I am coming from out of state and choosing between Fort Collins and Boulder as a place to retire. If money wasn't an issue what city would you prefer to live in and why?
Boulder. Proximity to Denver. More cultural activities. Closer to the big city, so better health care options. Better hiking.

The main difference in my mind is that Boulder is part of the Denver metropolitan area, but Fort Collins is not. Fort Collins is more isolated.

I'd consider retiring elsewhere in the Denver area as well. Boulder is a college town. Denver has plenty of areas that aren't college towns.

But Boulder is a nice place.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Boulder. Proximity to Denver. More cultural activities. Closer to the big city, so better health care options. Better hiking.

The main difference in my mind is that Boulder is part of the Denver metropolitan area, but Fort Collins is not. Fort Collins is more isolated.

I'd consider retiring elsewhere in the Denver area as well. Boulder is a college town. Denver has plenty of areas that aren't college towns.

But Boulder is a nice place.
I think this is a good point. Boulder is also in the media as the best and brightest but as you say, it is a college town and is expensive. You find many neighborhoods, in Denver and the suburbs that can give you an equal quality of retirement life or sometimes exceed the benefits of Boulder. Living in these neighborhoods it can be much cheaper, provide recreational and social amenities and have or not have the college enviroment--depending on your preference.

Boulder is not the only place to live. You can live in the metro area and still get to Boulder for your "Boulder fix" and leave when the amusements gets tiring. Having lived in Boulder, it grates on me like going to Las Vegas, the first few days are great but the traffic, the crowds and the gushing hormones of the young become annoying because Boulder is not a peaceful and pastoral little town. To me it is like a mini-New York and as a ex-New Yorker that sometimes gets to be too much.

Livecontent

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM

308 posts, read 600,375 times
Cheyenne, WY.

I know of 12 people whom retired there and love it. Lower taxes, homes and not long travel to see a Bronco's or Rockies game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area