Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 AM

5 posts, read 15,048 times

Advertisements

So my fiance and I have decided that we need to get out of California so we can actually get ahead in life. We've narrowed it down to Loveland, Fort Collins or Castle Rock but are stuck other than that. Basically we are looking for a family friendly place with tolerant people and community feel. We don't party so no biggie if there's no night life, I'm on disability so affordability is important to. Your help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM

213 posts, read 660,099 times
I lived in Castle Rock for awhile and absolutely loved it, didn't want to leave but had to. I found it affordable. It was also easy to go into Denver if you needed to ,easy enough to get to the airport. Have been to both Loveland, and Fort Collins, both are great areas, never lived in either one though, so not sure how affordable housing or rent is.
Everyone that I came across while living in Castle Rock was friendly, way more so than where I had moved from Good Luck

Old 05-27-2012, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 15,048 times
Thanks for the input! We've been leaning towards Castle Rock since Denver is so close and with the type of work I do I think Denver will have more options, again thanks!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
What is your definition of affordability?

Also one thing to check out is if you are permanently disabled is whether your California payments transfer, as I know they have programs that pay additional amounts over and above the social security payments in some cases, Colorado does not have those payments for the most part.

to answer your question as best I can, Loveland sounds like it maybe the better option for your. While I have not spent a whole lot of time in Castle Rock, I know it is expensive as Douglass county is one of the more expensive areas in Colorado. I have lived in Fort Collins and Northern Colorado for the better part of the last 7 years. In Castle Rock your fiance will more then likely have to commute to Denver for a job, which depending on start time can be pretty bad in the mornings.

All 3 are nice towns, but rental prices in fort Collins are kept artificially high due to the college being in the area, and the 3 unrelated person rule. the rule does not allow most houses to be rented to more then 3 unrelated people, which drives prices on 3 bedrooms much higher, and 4 bedrooms only slightly higher.

Loveland has a nice character to it, there are decent rental prices still on the market, they have plenty of community things every summer, and are close enough to Fort collins and Greeley so that you can pretty much find what you need without having to go to Denver very often.

The one drawback with Loveland or Fort Collins is the job market for your fiance, while certainly possible to commute to Denver (I did it for over a year), I would not suggest that as your best use of time. Look into jobs, and job market for whatever your fiance would like to do and be sure that there are options for you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area