Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM

10 posts, read 20,661 times

Advertisements

I have criteria on where to retire and high on the list is a military post, I am retired Air Force. I know FE Warren Air Force Base is about 50 miles north of Fort Collins so this is a plus. Any rumors of FE Warren closing or downsizing? I know they have no active runway and they exist to house ICBMs. Wonder how long we need a land based arm of the nuclear triad (air, land and sea based). If we keep a land based presence would FE Warren be the prime location to keep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,338 times
Don't know anything about FE Warren.

But living in Fort Collins isn't very close to that. In the winter time, that can be a rather nasty drive due to wind and blowing snow. FE Warren is in Cheyenne, which is the capital of Wyoming, and I don't think it's a bad place.

If being near a military post is a top criteria, Colorado Springs (Air Force Academy, Peterson & Schriever AFB, and Fort Carson) or Cheyenne may better fit the bill than Fort Collins.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Default Thanks

FE Warren is close enough, only about 50 mile or so not that I will be going everyday, just to the commissary once a month.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM

28 posts, read 79,404 times
We are planning to retire in either Loveland or FoCo! I've only been there once, but did not see any military connection. If the said base is in Cheyenne, it is a totally different locale, and better retire in Cheyenne.

I'm not also sure if there are a lot of ex military in FoCO either.

Good luck

Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,571 times
If you live in NE Fort Collins, Warren AFB in Cheyenne is not a bad drive. I used to live near the intersection of Mulberry and I-25 and could be at the gate of FE Warren AFB in about 35 minutes on a nice day.

I do not know anything about their strategy and the long term plans for the base.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonny View Post
FE Warren is close enough, only about 50 mile or so not that I will be going everyday, just to the commissary once a month.
You may want to ask your questions about Warren on the Wyoming board, outside of Frontier Days no news really comes out of Cheyenne through the limited Fort Collins media and the Denver media has a hard enough time keeping up with the goings on in the areas of Colorado they cover. I would say there is a large contingent of people in fort collins that have never actually been to Cheyenne, so asking a bunch of people from Fort Collins about that area is not going to get you many answers.

One thing that you may also want to consider is while it is only about 45-60 miles to Cheyenne depending on where you live in Fort collins, that highway is one of the worst I have ever heard of during storms. Roads get closed between Fort Collins and the Wyoming border often as there is nothing to stop the wind and blowing snow, so if your ultimate goal is to also use the VA medical services I would not move to Fort Collins to do so.

Another is why Fort collins? From your post it almost sounds as if your mind is made up, but outside of the Air Force base I have not seen any reason that you would chose here. Cheyenne is actually a pretty nice city, and the cost of living is much lower then it is in Fort collins, the only difference is the views of the mountains are almost non existent, but it is actually closer to camping areas that are not overcrowded. Colorado Springs is also a nice area, in fact I like the scenery surrounding colorado Springs much more as well. It is also a cheaper cost of living to live there as well.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM

Default J Wiley

My mind is still open and a trip to Colorado Springs might be on the horizon. I visited the Springs in 72 and it was indeed beautiful. Still searching...thanks all.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonny View Post
My mind is still open and a trip to Colorado Springs might be on the horizon. I visited the Springs in 72 and it was indeed beautiful. Still searching...thanks all.
Don't forget to visit Rapid City and Sturgis / Spearfish also GREAT VA medical and Income Tax free (as is Sheridan, WY, another nice place.) Cheyenne is not on my top 1000 places to retire in WY.

CO will win the vote if you need frequent access to International Airport. Taxes in CO are moderate, but not bad. SD is one of the least taxed states (AK wins that race).

Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 AM

497 posts, read 571,482 times
We live on the north side of Fort Collins - near I-25. We are retired also. About once a month we drive to Cheyenne to shop at the mall. The shopping here in Fort Collins is terrible. I go to the Flat Irons Mall in the Boulder area or I go to Cheyenne. The drive north is easy but the winds and snow will definitely restrict your travel during some winters. Last winter was okay - went every month. We have met a few retired military here. When we were stationed in Los Angeles, I would drive to El Toro Marine base every six weeks for commissary. Know where you are coming from! Property taxes in Colorado are not bad compared to California, Texas, and Pa. I could not live in Cheyenne....nothing to do. We are campers but the mountains are not our scene during the winter. I do not know if Warren will stay open or whether it will close. The local newspaper never acknowledges that Cheyenne even exists. I live 36 miles from Cheyenne.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,373 times
Out of curiosity what are you all buying at the commissary?
And what are you finding at the mall in Cheyenne that you can't find in the Fort or Loveland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area