Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 04:56 PM

21 posts, read 46,513 times

Advertisements

Hi. Continuing on my research of the FC area. Are there many neighborhoods that do not have a HOA? What are the names of those neighborhoods or the location of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,015 times
Here's a list of some neighborhoods that I either know or don't think have HOAs. Note that some may have developer covenants written into the deed, but without an HOA these will not change, can only be enforced via a lawsuit from neighbors, and are usually pretty minimal.

Old Town (although there are some extra city rules applied to historical areas)
South College Heights
Brown's Farm
University Acres
Rossborough
Quail Hollow

I'm sure there are a lot more than these but I haven't had cause to research it for awhile. One trick I learned (if you are in town) is to look for TV antennas on the roofs. If multiple houses have them, it's probably a non-HOA, non-covenant-controlled neighborhood. What most people don't know is that federal law bans covenants that don't let you put up a normal TV antenna (presumably to allow homeowners that can't afford cable to still have access to local media).

Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 PM

99 posts, read 225,983 times
Any house throughout the entire city, not just in Old Town, fall under historic review if they are 50 years old or older. Historic review isn't very rigorous, though. We live in Old Town and had our house remodeled a few years back. Getting our changes passed through historic review was equivalent to sneezing. I suppose our contractor knew what he was doing. There are some rules about what you can build in Old Town, but given what people have gotten away with, the rules obviously aren't very stringent and you can always ask for an exemption to the rules.

As far as neighborhoods without HOAs, for the most part any neighborhood that falls into the historic review age range isn't going to have an HOA with only a couple exceptions. HOA's don't seem to have gained popularity until more recently. So you're more likely to find HOA's south of Drake (or maybe south of Horsetooth) than you are to the north - although fringe building all over is more likely to have HOAs than something closer to Old Town.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,015 times
As somebody who has been to Europe and Asia (not to mention Santa Fe, Mexico, and the eastern US), the notion of a 50 year old house being considered historic is somewhat amusing to me. But those historic property property rules only apply to revisions requiring a building permit. At least that's the case for now. But I get the impression that there are a lot of old town residents who wish they did have an HOA controlling their neighborhoods. They can't do it unless every homeowner in the neighborhood agrees and so they look to the city to implement restrictions.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM

21 posts, read 46,513 times
Mike - thanks for the list of neighborhoods and that is interesting about the tv antennas... I've been trying to learn as much as possible about the neighborhoods before our trip this coming week. Only a couple neighborhoods stand out to me as I think of our last trip. I'm somewhat overwhelmed with the data, looking at the schools and neighborhoods and have decided to stop looking until we get there and get another feel of the town. I am interested in why the popularity of HOAs? Mainly because where we live, this is not popular. Obviously, since we live in the city of Chicago, HOAs do not exist for single family homes, only for attached units (condos, duplex, row houses, etc.)

Barefootmeg - Thanks for your helpful information about Old Town in this post and others I've posted. We loved that neighborhood on our last visit and we are drawn to the architecture that would be of historic review. I do agree with xeric in that 50 years seems a bit 'new' to me as we've lived in homes closer to 100 years old or older. I've noticed some new construction that brings back the craftsmen home/bungalow that we love so dearly. The thing is, we'd love to have a little more space/land than we have here in the city. To find the right mix of what we like and want will be the challenge. We are fans of 'the not so big house' and most of the newer homes I find for sale in the southern/south eastern part of town feel so 'big' to us.
Why do residents prefer HOA if what xeric's impressions are true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area