Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM

372 posts, read 576,252 times

Advertisements

Hi, all,

My husband and I want to visit the Fort Collins/Loveland area for a couple of weeks, with an eye toward
relocation from the SF Bay Area. We're ready for a change after 30+ years here, and he's always
wanted to check out Colorado. This will be our first trip.

We plan to take I80 from here to SLC and then drop down to I70 and come through Grand Junction
and then into Denver. We chose that route because it seems to have more of the pet-friendly places we need for travel with 3 dogs.

Do you see any problems with this route at this time of year, as long as we keep an eye out for weather?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Often a lot of snow. Pay attention to forecasts and to the CDOT website. It's a stunning drive. Might want to stop in Glenwood Springs for a night and a dip in the hot springs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. We'll do that. And thanks for that great link!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

76 posts, read 154,235 times
We have traveled to SLC and Reno at different times of the year. We usually take I80 to HY 287 down into Fort Collins. From SLC to FoCo is around 8 hours, and there are usually places that will take dog (s) in SLC (not sure about more than one). Either way can be iffy with snow. I80 takes less time. and there are easy places to gas up and walk the dogs along the way. If you do take I70 watch out for weekend ski or rush hour traffic because that can be a real bear.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks, Lanormun. We'll take another look at going I80 all the way to 287 to FC. At 455 miles (according to google maps), it's a longer driving day than I want to make with the 3 dogs, but it looks like we could stay someplace in Rock Springs, WY, to break up the trip.

Maybe then we could come back on I70.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
I love almost every part of the West except the I-80 corridor through southern Wyoming. Something about that area just causes my spirits to sink. Yes it's more direct than SLC to Denver via I 70, but taking the most direct route has never been my highest priority. As for winter weather, it really depends on where the storms are when you are travelling. Crossing the high passes on 70 in a snowstorm is a nightmare, but while you are more likely to get heavy snow on 70; high winds, blowing snow and frigid temperatures are more common on 80. That time of year, I'd probably base my decision on the weather forecasts a few days out.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Thanks very much. That is exactly the kind of info I need. It sounds like I80 affects you the same way I5 affects me, here in CA. That is why we take 101 down to southern CA rather than 5.

Maybe we'll just wait until spring. We don't have to go right now, really. There is no point making it any harder on ourselves than we need to.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:26 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
It is dry here and with the higher altitude you will probably want to hydrate more. Don't forget the dogs in doing that. Adding water to their food can help make sure they are getting enough.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
It is dry here and with the higher altitude you will probably want to hydrate more. Don't forget the dogs in doing that. Adding water to their food can help make sure they are getting enough.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area