Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times

Advertisements

Like the title says: I'm moving in a few months, and I had my heart set on Colorado springs, but the more research I do, it seems like there are more affordable housing options and more and better paying jobs in my field in Ft. Collins. And I figure that since CSU is there, and there's alot of breweries, a 28 year old single male such as myself should have no problem finding things to do. What do you all think? Is there anyone that's lived in both places that could give me some prosepctive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:49 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,382 times
I think as a 28y/o single male you would fit in better in Fort Collins. Especially with the college here.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:20 PM

yeah, i'm worried that COS is a bit too conservative for my tastes. I'm really not cool with that.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Fort Collins is a great place to live! I went to CSU and loved it there. The nightlife is actually pretty good for the size of the city. Much better than Colorado Springs! The beer is excellent! Summers are fantastic. There is an annual beer festival in old town that allows you to sample the local brews. Horsetooth Res. is a great place to spend the hot summer day. A drive up Poudre Canyon to the mountains is beautiful. There are so many things to do, you won't have to drive to Denver very often if you don't want too! Wow, do I miss it there!

If you can find a good paying job I would move there. I would suggest living close to the university or old town. It is nice and would fit the lifestyle of a 28 year old. The further south you go, the more suburbian, family oriented it becomes.

I have never lived in Colorado Springs, but my father did at one time. He thought it was pretty conservative (and my dad isn't exactly a screaming liberal). I used to drive down there when I was in high school to visit a guy I was dating. It was a pretty boring place for young people. My sister looked at relocating there, but thought it was "ghetto." Those are her words, not mine. I would pick Fort Collins over Colorado Springs in a heartbeat. Good luck on your move!

Last edited by delta07; 02-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: not finished

Old 02-25-2008, 01:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Like the title says: I'm moving in a few months, and I had my heart set on Colorado springs, but the more research I do, it seems like there are more affordable housing options and more and better paying jobs in my field in Ft. Collins. And I figure that since CSU is there, and there's alot of breweries, a 28 year old single male such as myself should have no problem finding things to do. What do you all think? Is there anyone that's lived in both places that could give me some prosepctive?
Well, the only real negative one can say about Fort Collins is the job market is sometimes difficult, so lots of people have to commute south for jobs. If you have a good, solid, job in Fort Collins, count your blessings.

As for comparing the two towns, Colorado Springs certainly has more breathtaking mountain views than Fort Collins, and feels a bit closer to the mountains (though in reality only slightly), but Fort Collins is I think a nicer, cleaner, safer town while at the same time being more lively in terms of activities and walkability.

Both are nice places to live, actually, so really either town would have a lot to offer. Both have typical front range climates (CS is a little more moderate in both summer and winter), both will get you good access to the mountains, but both are a bit further from skiing than the Denver area.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Well, i've got 2 different potential employers both trying to snake me, one is in Ft.collins, the other in COS. I'm flying out to interview next weekend with both of them. I guess it depends on the offers I get. I'm still kinda leaning towards COS, cause I have alot of family there, but if I get a better offer in Ft.Collins, i'll take it.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM

Good luck on the jobs. Let us know what happens.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM

I will definatley keep everyone posted. Wish me luck!!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Well guys, I've decided on the JOb in COS, mostly cause it pays WAY more. But will certainly visit Ft. Collins as much as I can. Who knows, I just may end up there in the future.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Congrats on the new job and welcome to colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area