Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 10,580 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this isn't quite the right forum for this question, but I thought it might do as a place to start -

I lived in FoCo for a few years (graduated from Rocky Mountain High in '09) and absolutely loved it there. Everything about the city was perfect for me. To list a few things in particular; very outdoor friendly, family friendly, good shopping, great food and coffee/beer/wine, amazing old town/historic district, fairly liberal population -

For many reasons, I'm sadly unable to move back. Still, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an equivalent city on the East Coast? Preferably the North East (willing to look as far south as VA, and as far West as PA).

I would love to hear your experiences!
Thank you

Old 03-08-2020, 02:55 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,571 times
Burlington, VT? I'm not very familiar with the NE, but we really liked Burlington on a visit a couple of years back. I'm sure the winters are more difficult in Vermont than we have here in Fort Collins.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Look for small cities with a university and some high tech.

Manchester NH and Portland, Freeport, ME have a similar FC vibe, + college towns in northern NY, VT, NH.

I grew up in Masonville, CO (worked & schooled in FT C, and Loveland. but spend most fall seasons in New Eng.) Colorado friends who relocated to NE didn't work out so well for them. Very different socially, and long gray winters.

IMHO, both places are better to visit than to live.... but CO would win if I had to live in either.

College towns really help diversify your experience. Socially, economically, job opportunities, variety. (Ways to escape nepotism )

Good luck.

Hopefully you can head west again.
If further west, and for other readers... Look into Columbia Falls, or Bozeman MT, Moscow, ID, Spokane, Bellingham, and Wenatchee, WA, Sheridan, WY. Spearfish, SD, Bend and Hood River, OR, Logan, UT, Davis, SLO, or Arcata CA. Flagstaff, AZ, Las Cruces and Santa Fe NM

Old 03-09-2020, 11:28 AM

Someone else can add details for FC 'like' cities elsewhere. But WI, MI, TN, NC, SC, GA all have some sweet and desirable comparisons to FT Collins.

Near my Texas home is San Marcos and New Braunfels and Fredericksburg. All are similar to FT Collins... Art, trendy, outdoors, educated, music, beer, wine coffee,... And lots to do.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
For east coast, look at Lebanon NH, Wolfsboro NH, Saratoga Springs NY, Morgantown WV, Blacksburg VA, State College PA... Bangor / Old Town ME.

Boone NC is modestly outside your boundaries.

Could also ask for help in General US forum.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:25 PM

35 posts, read 75,795 times
We live about 2.5 hrs. from Boone and was there this weekend. About as close to a smaller Colorado mountain town as you'll get here. If larger, consider Asheville.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:55 PM

432 posts, read 414,527 times
Another vote for Burlington, VT. Also check out the Mad River Valley.
In NH check out Littleton, Plymouth, Keene, and Portsmouth.
Northampton and Newburyport, MA
Portland, ME

Old 10-09-2020, 08:55 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
+1 on Portsmouth.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:09 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivecat View Post
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this isn't quite the right forum for this question, but I thought it might do as a place to start -

I lived in FoCo for a few years (graduated from Rocky Mountain High in '09) and absolutely loved it there. Everything about the city was perfect for me. To list a few things in particular; very outdoor friendly, family friendly, good shopping, great food and coffee/beer/wine, amazing old town/historic district, fairly liberal population -

For many reasons, I'm sadly unable to move back. Still, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an equivalent city on the East Coast? Preferably the North East (willing to look as far south as VA, and as far West as PA).

I would love to hear your experiences!
Thank you
Towns like that are all over the NE. Burlington, as someone mentioned is nice, as is Amhearst/Northhampton, MA, Portland, ME, and Keene, NH. We just moved to Brattleboro, VT, and absolutely love it here compared to northern Colorado, although may be too small for your likes.

The best thing about towns in NE is the relative lack of sprawl and bland growth that is ruining Colorado.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Towns like that are all over the NE. Burlington, as someone mentioned is nice, as is Amhearst/Northhampton, MA, Portland, ME, and Keene, NH. We just moved to Brattleboro, VT, and absolutely love it here compared to northern Colorado, although may be too small for your likes.

The best thing about towns in NE is the relative lack of sprawl and bland growth that is ruining Colorado.
There is not miles and miles of 'privacy fences' in NE, separating identical or mirror image houses?

Risk... when visiting, you would need to ask a neighbor where their bathroom is Instead of it being right where your bathroom is located in your identical Colorado house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area