Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 PM

42 posts, read 250,248 times

Advertisements

We have visited Fort Collins many, many times as tourists over the years. We love the area and are still hoping to relocate as soon as we are able.

A few things that we like about the city:
1. It is off the major interstate highway a bit, so you don't have to deal
with that traffic unless you are traveling on it.
2. Old Town - we love spending the day there for the restaurants,
shopping, people watching, and sightseeing.
3. Colorado State Univ. - We both think the college is beautiful and look
forward to following the sports teams.
4. The proximity to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.
5. Horsetooth Reservoir - we both love boating - maybe it's not the type of
fishing I am used to and love, but surely it has decent fishing.
6. Much slower pace than in the larger cities around Denver.
7. Much lower property costs than in the mountain towns west of Denver.
8. Beautiful older homes and numerous beautiful neighborhoods.

A few things that concern us:
1. We wonder about the availability of water over the coming years.
2. We have a few concerns about the local economy, since it seems quite a
few people commute closer to Denver, and from the postings on here, it
seems that the income level in FC is on the low side, due to the
abundance of college students.
3. Each time we visit, we always comment on how windy it seems to be. I
guess excessive wind is an issue you have to face everywhere on the
front range.

Does the restaurant scene offer a lot of good options, especially for barbecue, southern cooking, burgers (not fast food), and breweries? Is there a large movie theater?

I would love to know from those of you who have lived in FC for awhile - what is Fort Collins missing that would be an improvement? Are there are particular businesses or infrastructure that would make life even better?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainViews View Post
Does the restaurant scene offer a lot of good options, especially for barbecue, southern cooking, burgers (not fast food), and breweries? Is there a large movie theater?

I would love to know from those of you who have lived in FC for awhile - what is Fort Collins missing that would be an improvement? Are there are particular businesses or infrastructure that would make life even better?
I lived in Fort Collins for many years, and I would say I think Fort Collins needs a couple new primary employers. It's not bad at the moment, but one or two more I think would cure the under-employment problem that a lot of professionals and ex-college students face.

Other than that, I think Fort Collins best attribute is that unlike pretty much anywhere to the south, it's a self-contained community, having pretty much every thing you need in a town its size. Of course, some aren't going to be happy in a town of 120k or so and will naturally gravitate to Denver. Most Fort residents (except for the few who by necessity or choice commute south), are able to enjoy themselves just fine in town and in the foothills and mountains to the west.

As for restaurants, there are quite a few I think for a town of FC's size. As for southern food, you really should try the excellent Lucille's Creole Cafe. For BBQ, this is not a local specialty -- there are a couple of places -- Brother Mel's is southern style. Breweries -- as you know FC is a microbrew mecca with New Belgium, Odells, and Ft Collins Brewery headquartered in town. Coopersmiths is good brewpub in Old Town.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM

32 posts, read 147,981 times
I would have to agree with tfox, Fort Collins has it all, but we need places to work. I would add that even though I-25 is out of town....we still have major traffic in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area