Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I like cold, harsh winters, but I like at least some sunshine. Canada does seem great, and I have always thought Vancouver would be nice, but I bet Vancouver gets a little less cool after these Olympics.
Vancouver only gets 19 inches of snow.

Climate of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times
Would you say that the climate is more like northern wisconsin, or closer to chicago climate? We've lived in both, and a chicago climate wouldn't necessarily scare me off, a step up from that might. i read the stats, but it's hard to compare through stats with the air being dryer and being at an elevation makes it feel different.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Would you say that the climate is more like northern wisconsin, or closer to chicago climate? We've lived in both, and a chicago climate wouldn't necessarily scare me off, a step up from that might. i read the stats, but it's hard to compare through stats with the air being dryer and being at an elevation makes it feel different.
Much milder than both, per those that have moved from WI or IL.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:34 AM

259 posts, read 601,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I wanted to live in New England for awhile, but the problem with New England is that it is outrageously expensive and densely populated. Having lived in Worcester, MA, I just fell in love with deep, hard winters.
We just moved from Fort Collins to Manchester, NH. It's neither expensive nor densely populated. :-)

Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM

259 posts, read 601,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Much, MUCH milder!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
Humidity in the air plays a major part in comfort. We lived in the midwest (Illinois/Missouri/Kansas) for 20 years, and 20 years in FC Colorado.
The Midwest use to have much more snow - now nothing! We recently had to move back to Missouri due to disability.
The moisture in the air makes the winter/spring feel MUCH colder, and the summer MUCH hotter! And yes, it CAN be 106 degree high temp AND be 90+ % average humidity. (St. Louis - July 1990) Came back from a trip to Montana and walked out of the airport into a HOT SHOWER ROOM - slapped me in my face and I said - GOD, we gotta move WEST! Your towels NEVER dry - you MUST use a clothes drier!

Sun on a cold 20 degree day in CO feels like a 50 degree damp cloudy MO day in March - (yesterday)! In Colorado, we often would where only a light vest over long sleeve shirt - or evne no vest. In cold damp March in MO you feel that cold come right through even your jeans - you want overalls!

Sun and low humidity really MAKES Colorado weather heaven. My first day in FC I saw a bank thermometer at 100 degrees - I was sitting at a light in long shirt/tie and pants looking for a job and was simply amazed that I wasn't drenched in sweat as I would be in Missouri 80 % humidity!

If you complain about CO weather then you REALLY ARE used to Mediteranean California weather - or just have never seen snow! MOVE SOUTH and sit in the AC like we do in Missouri!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss CO bad View Post
And yes, it CAN be 106 degree high temp AND be 90+ % average humidity. (St. Louis - July 1990)
Here's where I think the humidity confusion often comes from. Take a look at this link for Miami:
Hialeah, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

You can see that the relative humidity varies from a low 36% during the hottest part of the day to a high of 77% during the nighttime low. However, if you just extracted the highest temperature along with the highest RH you could say that on Tuesday Miami had a high of 72 with an RH of 77%. However, that's very inaccurate because those readings did not occur at the same time. Rather it ranged from 72/36% to 56/77%.

On the other hand, I can provide links to real weather records that corroborate the -41 record low in Ft. Collins, the May and Sept. snowstorms and frosts, and the 120 day average growing season.

Last edited by xeric; 03-16-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area