Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM

17 posts, read 28,050 times

Advertisements

Hello... This is my very first post on this site...

My Husband and I have been trying to narrow our search down. We are both very interested in relocating to the Miami, FL area BUT we do not want to be right in the hustle and bustle of the (metro) city... We would like to settle down in a "Suburban" area approx 30-40 minutes away from South Beach Attractions (for Us!!!).

We have a family... 3 children (current ages: 3, 5, 9)... so therefore we are looking for a VERY FAMILY FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD... Safe/Low Crime... Great Schools... & a ton of FUN things our children can do in the neighborhood...

So basically we want the Best of Both worlds... a family friendly area (for the kids) that isnt too far (30-40 min drive max) from the South Beach nightlife (for the adults)

I have came across some interesting looking areas online, such as Coral Springs & Pembroke Pines, But I would like the advice from FL Natives who can give me unbiased Pros and Cons of some areas of choice...

Thanx A bunch!!!!!

Oh Yeah... I am an Elementary School Teacher, so a GREAT School District that I can apply to for employment would be very helpful as well... preferablly either IN or Not to Far from the neighborhood recommended to live in...

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,714,590 times
I'm sure you'd be happy anywhere in Weston, but teaching jobs in South Florida have been few and far between. The budget is just horrible and yet there are state legislative mandates that require there be only 24 children per classroom. The legislature doesnt meet again until October. If the school doesnt meet the mandate of only 24 kids per class when school reconvenes they face very high daily fines, so they *will* be hiring in anticipation. However, when the legislature meets again they are highly expected to increase the allowable class size. This will mean the very most recent hires will be let go within 2 months of the beginning of the school year. Be very careful.

Last edited by fauve; 07-30-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Thanx for the insight... I will definately take ur advice into consideration

Any other neighborhoods/areas????

Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM

I was just online an came upon an area called "Malibu Bay" in Homestead... does anyone have ANYTHING to say about this area???

Thanx

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Homestead is about an hour south of Miami with no traffic, 1 1/2 hours south of South Beach. The schools are likely lousy. You could try asking on the Miami board if anyone has heard of the specific neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM

O... OK!

So your saying within a 30-40 min drive to Miami/south beach... I should stay North??? Earlier, you mentioned Weston, what is the cost of living there? Im from Ohio, & basically in my area you get a lot of Bang for the Buck!!! $250-300K will get you a VERY Large (mini mansion) prob sitting on an acre or more... And I def know that that is NOT the case in FL ... I've also been looking into some foreclosed properties so that I could get the kinda home I want for a DISCOUNT!!! LOL

Im looking for a REALLY REALLY nice area... BUT at the same time I dont want to go broke trying to pay for living expences

Last edited by Tropical Fantasy; 07-31-2010 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: added foreclosure info

Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 AM

Weston has something for every budget - my favorite thing about the place. It's also a safe place for a family that knows zip about South Florida to buy or rent a house because all the schools are great, the entire area is safe and it's beautiful, really. Plus it's convenient to highways for commuting and although it's far west, it's at a midpoint between the northern and southern portions of the county.

I would recommend you look at Cooper City as well - it also has uniformly great schools and all areas are completely safe. You might get more bang for your buck there and I think it's a very central location for commuting to either downtown Miami/South Beach or downtown Fort Lauderdale. It also has the added benefit of being closer to the beach than Weston.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 AM

Ok thanks!!!

What are your thoughts about Coral Springs?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Im not that familiar with it. Many people here do and perhaps they'll respond - I believe there are some street boundaries to be aware of as far as schools.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Ok Thanx... Hoepfully someone else will chime in soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area