Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM

66 posts, read 169,770 times

Advertisements

Hello, have been lurking for a few weeks. Sorry if some of this has been discussed.

We are relocating from Baltimore to Broward for my husband's new job in Miami. We went down a few weeks ago to preview the area and housing market. Some some great houses in Weston & Cooper City. I am a teacher and am concerned about schools. I actually teach in public school here but send my kids to private school. Hoping to use public school in FL, I know the schools are great in both areas. I have two daughters, 6 & 9. I am concerned about the size of the high school in Weston. 4000 kids sounds unmanageable to me. Cooper City High has fewer students. Does anyone have experience that they would share regarding the schools? Any other advice concerning these areas. We are also looking for a recreation lacrosse program since both girls have been playing for a few years.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Cooper City would be an easier commute for your husband. And, I don't think you'd go wrong with schools in either city.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 AM

66 posts, read 169,770 times
Thanks for the response. He's not worried about the commute at this point. His current commute was Baltimore to DC everyday so anything else will be a piece of cake...lol. 2 hours each way for the last 2 years, just crazy! The realtor kept saying that Weston & Davie are more convenient. Looking at the map, I don't see that. His job is on the northwest part of Miami.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 AM

188 posts, read 587,715 times
My husband works in Miami and we live in Weston. His commute time is 45 min to an hour. Though he does have to go all the way to Coconut Grove.
We moved here 2 years ago from PA and NJ. We were told only to look in Weston. Although we love Weston and my 11th grader likes and does well at Cypress Bay, I know now that I did not need to narrow my search to just Weston.
My son went to Western High (Davie) his 9th grade year due to a size cap on Cypress Bay. He really enjoyed Western but decided in 10 grade to switch to Cypress. There was an adjustment period because of the size and change but by November he was loving Cypress Bay. Even though it is a very big school (roughly 3,800 students now. He was used to 800 students) he has adjusted well and has found a great group of Friends. He is in honors and AP classes and enjoys the course selection.
For what it is worth we felt Western was a great school. In fact we are still on the email list and are getting updates every week on College prep, SAT classes, what Colleges are in town, etc. from the BRACE office at Western. Not hearing anything from Cypress Bay yet. I'm going to check into that!
I can't give you any info on Cooper City other than I have heard it is a very good school too.
I also have a child in Tequesta Trace Middle and we love it. I have heard that the Elementary schools in Weston are very good also.
**** luck with your move.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:56 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
If your husband will be working in Northwest Miami, I think your realtor may be right. It sounds like he'd need to take 75, in which case, Weston or Davie would be better bets. Indian Ridge is a superb middle school (if you look at Davie, aim for something zoned here.) The lower schools in Davie & Weston are all good. Cooper City is a bit east and would add 10 minutes or so to the commute. From Davie & Weston he's looking at between 20-30 minutes depending on how far south in Miami he has to go. If you choose Weston, try to find something located further east than west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area