Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 PM

234 posts, read 387,903 times

Advertisements

I currently live near Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale and I’m considering moving to Miami to be closer to work. If I’m looking for a place that is similar to the Las Olas area, would Coconut Grove be a good choice? I would like to avoid the heavy Latin influence that is common in other popular areas of Miami including Coral Gables and Brickell. I also like the quaintness of the Las Olas area that seems to be hard to find in Miami.

I appreciate any insight comparing Coconut Grove or other Parts of Miami to Las Olas.

I asked this question on the Miami discussion board but did not get a significant response. I assume most Miami residents don’t make it up to Broward County often enough to have an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
This is an interesting question. We recently made the decision, partly by fortune and circumstance, to move to the Las Olas area over Miami Beach. Having previously lived in Miami Beach, I prefer Las Olas, but I think by only a slim margin over Miami Beach - perhaps it's simply because friends and family are in Broward.

So, that's where I suggest you look - Miami Beach, especially the area south of Dade Blvd. It is more Anglo in mid-beach, but the hustle bustle of South Beach outweigh any qualms I might have with a heavier Latin influence. You may feel differently. Plus, it's really not an exclusively Latin feel so much as a cosmopolitan international one.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I currently live near Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale and I’m considering moving to Miami to be closer to work. If I’m looking for a place that is similar to the Las Olas area, would Coconut Grove be a good choice? I would like to avoid the heavy Latin influence that is common in other popular areas of Miami including Coral Gables and Brickell. I also like the quaintness of the Las Olas area that seems to be hard to find in Miami.

I appreciate any insight comparing Coconut Grove or other Parts of Miami to Las Olas.

I asked this question on the Miami discussion board but did not get a significant response. I assume most Miami residents don’t make it up to Broward County often enough to have an opinion.
The areas next to the design district, edgewater/wynwood along the bay and the grove would be my suggestions.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,669 times
The areas next to the Miami Disign disctric and Wynwood are way far from similarity with Las Olas area in Fort Lauderdale. Las Olas is very safe and very walkable 24 hours. Wynwood and Miami District are not definately. Edgewater, that is a neighborhood between Biscayne boulevard and the Bay is a little bit better. Coconut Grove is highier in price with a kind of atmosphere like the one in Las Olas but not as safe.
I suggest you to stay in Fort Lauderdale in your current place , because what you want in Miami is impossible to find. Las Olas Boulevard is unique in many ways.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
The areas next to the Miami Disign disctric and Wynwood are way far from similarity with Las Olas area in Fort Lauderdale. Las Olas is very safe and very walkable 24 hours. Wynwood and Miami District are not definately. Edgewater, that is a neighborhood between Biscayne boulevard and the Bay is a little bit better. Coconut Grove is highier in price with a kind of atmosphere like the one in Las Olas but not as safe.
I suggest you to stay in Fort Lauderdale in your current place , because what you want in Miami is impossible to find. Las Olas Boulevard is unique in many ways.
thats weird because I have been in miami design district well into the early morning and never a issue. Not sure what you are basing your assumptions on. I have also been in Edgewater at the wee hours and have friends over there, again no issues. One of them jogs at odd hours. There is a police presence and there are people in the park at all times of night so again not sure what you are basing your statement on.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
There is nowhere in Miami that is remotely similar to Las Olas. Brickell might be your best option. Brickell is growing fast and there are many new establishments opening up. Now there's a new Publix and an LA Fitness right in Mary Brickell Village which is convenient. You really never have to leave Brickell if you live there except for a mall.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
There is nowhere in Miami that is remotely similar to Las Olas. Brickell might be your best option. Brickell is growing fast and there are many new establishments opening up. Now there's a new Publix and an LA Fitness right in Mary Brickell Village which is convenient. You really never have to leave Brickell if you live there except for a mall.
brickell far exceeds anything in ft. lauderdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area