Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 01:57 AM

24 posts, read 40,015 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a big descision to make and nobody can help me here in Germany. Please let me know what you think.

My situation:
Im from Germany and planning to work as an Admin Trainee in the States (the only thing possible with the strict immigration regulations ).

My favorite place to live would be Miami as I been there before and love it there! The agency here in Germany, who is finding me the trainee position, said that they can only find a company who pays a maximum of 800 dollars per month, as most dont want to pay Trainees at all.
I have a bit saved, but money is still a big issue for me and Miami is expensive.

However, since yesterday I have an offer to work in Sunrise, FL. The boss there would even pay 500 additionally (1300 dollars).
But I wouldn't be in Miami. So Im totally unsure what to do.

Is the Sunrise area much cheaper (housing, bills etc.) than Miami?
Is it easy to drive down from there whenever I feel like it?
Is Sunrise a good and pleasant area to live in?
(I know this community is only abt South Beach but Im kind of desperate to get any advise...)

The big issue is that I cant drive at all ! Initially I thought that in Miami I dont need to be able to drive!? Is that true? I wanted to solely rely on buses!

Now if I take this opportunity in Sunrise, the boss is saying I do need to be able to drive.
He wants me to do the licence while still in Germany if I want the job, its the only requirement he has. But the licence here in Germany cost 2300 dollars!!!! and we dont have licences to do on automatic cars just manual...

If you guys say that I wouldnt need to drive for sure in Miami and can rely on the busses then I would prefer Miami. But if I let this go they will very unlikely find a boss again who pays more then 800 and I have to take an opportunity soon...

Many Thanks in advance!!!
Anja
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,777 times
If this isn't a joke there is NOWHERE in the USA you can live on $4.61 an hour.......

Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 PM

24 posts, read 40,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
If this isn't a joke there is NOWHERE in the USA you can live on $4.61 an hour.......
Never heard about a Trainee Visa? This is not a joke, most trainees dont get any money. Its impossible to get into the US in an honest way to simply work so the only way is on a training visa. Im glad I get SOME money.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,212 times
Yes same here never heard of trainee visa. Please before you pack make sure it is a legit company not some scam.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 43,276 times
Hallo Anja!

As someone who used to study in Germany, I think I know what you are talking about.

1) I would suggest you take the position in Sunrise. Broward is much nicer, safer, and cleaner than Miami. You won't regret it!!!! GLAUB MIR!!

2) Check "apartments for rent" or "for rent" if you need to arrange your own housing.

3) I am not sure if you could get some kind of temporary license (which is also an ID) here in the US. Check the DMV Florida. Driving test is a piece of cake here. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like in Germany.

4) Even if you need to rely on public transportation, I do not think it would be a problem in Sunrise.

5) Miami is only about an hour or less from Sunrise.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 AM

59 posts, read 160,231 times
Unless you have support from another source, I wouldn't even consider this. Here in FL the employer can terminate you at any time and jobs are hard to come by. Also public transportation here is horrible.

I would only advise to come here if you have a job offer for 50k+ annual for a single person. And have strong experience in the field.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Does "Miami" mean "Downtown Miami?" If not, don't even think about living without a car. I can't even imagine Sunrise without a car!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
forget the car, how can someone live on $1300 month if they simply depend on themslves?? That has to pay rent, utilities, tansportation, food. NO WAY NO HOW will it work.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM

90 posts, read 312,909 times
You would spend a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to get to Sunrise without
a car. You really would need to live in Sunrise.

I never heard of any of the kind of visa you are discussing.
CHECK OUT THE COMPANY, THE SUPERVISOR, THE OWNER OF
THE COMPANY VERY VERY CAREFULLY.

much of what you describe of your job offer is strange, does not make
sense, seems dubious, are you sure this is a real, actual company?

I would not accept this job myself for any reason
But, your commute would take 2 1/2 hours each way

Last edited by averageperson; 02-24-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 PM

86 posts, read 293,852 times
Sunrise is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area