Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM

18 posts, read 44,716 times

Advertisements

I have beem looking at various homes on homes.com and coldwellbanker.com in the South Florida area recently and have come across some OUTSTANDING homes in the Parkland, FL area for $300,000 and below that are bigger and better than any of the other homes in the surrounding areas for comparable prices. Why is that? Is Parkland some vast wasteland with poisonous snakes? Why are the houses so big and beautiful - yet so cheap!? somebody please fill me in. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
too many homes wih chinese drywall

Last edited by Hialeah_Rules; 09-08-2010 at 07:29 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
IMO, prices have dropped drastically and it's a GREAT time to buy...if you can! Good luck! I own a waterfront home in Pompano and there is no doubt....it's a buyers market! GO FOR IT!!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendalah View Post
I have beem looking at various homes on homes.com and coldwellbanker.com in the South Florida area recently and have come across some OUTSTANDING homes in the Parkland, FL area for $300,000 and below that are bigger and better than any of the other homes in the surrounding areas for comparable prices. Why is that? Is Parkland some vast wasteland with poisonous snakes? Why are the houses so big and beautiful - yet so cheap!? somebody please fill me in. Thx!
That place has been hit HARD by foreclosures. People living well outside their means. I had a friend who lived in parkland. He moved there in 2008, he said by the end of 2009 he and one other person was left on the block. The rest had left or lost their homes. Also said he had to put his high beams on in order to drive down their block. This market has spared no one and will continue to get worse.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Parkland is lovely.

Since the housing stock in Parkland is on the newer side there is a higher risk of having homes with Chinese drywall than in other towns. When I was looking at homes in the Davie/Plantation area I came across some very large homes at very good prices. Many of them had toxic drywall.

in addition to the drywall issue, the fact that Parkland's housing stock is newer means that a larger percentage of the homes were built/purchased during the boom years than other cities (like Weston where the building boom was earlier). So Parkland has been hit harder by foreclosures and short sales which produce some very good buying opportunities.

Do you have links to show us?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Repeat Chinese drywall. This is a serious situation in Parkland and other areas.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
EXACTLY! DRYWALL, DRYWALL, DRYWALL...did I mention Chinese Drywall. I found a 7 bedroom house for 250K - everything was updated, all I had to do was rip down the dry wall and replace it LOL - yes, because this is so simple! That is actually a small task to get such a grand house at that price, but the bigger problem is finding out what your pipes look like when you have ripped that stuff down - google it and look at pictures the pipes look like the have been in a house for 200 years versus 1.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM

18 posts, read 44,716 times
ughhh! my dreams are crushed! LOL I am still going to have a realtor show us around..I have to see it in person!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
ughhh! my dreams are crushed! LOL I am still going to have a realtor show us around..I have to see it in person!
In my experience Chinese drywall problems should be disclosed in the listing. Make sure you ask the agent.

If you could link some of the listings here we could probably tell you if the deal is to good to be true. Most of us have a pretty good handle on what is a good deal and what is to good to be true.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Let me google that for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area