Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times

Advertisements

First I admit I haven't looked in a few weeks, but I tend to find prices for rent in the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area to be anywhere from $650-$800, some more or less of course.

My father thinks that's too much for FL. I "argue" that I think those prices seem pretty good for that area. Granted I don't know if they are safe areas or not, but that's nto teh question here right now.

It would seem to me that for an apartment in a decent area, in/around a bigger city like Ft. Lauderdale (versus the "country" FL where my relatives live), $800-ish would be a good deal.

Coming from CT, that is a steal around here.

I'd like to hear from both natives AND transplants - what do you think? Expensive, or good deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,498 times
South Florida is definitely much cheaper than CT and the taxes are much lower too. You might be able to find something decent for $800 in Pompano Beach. But beware, Pompano is very hit or miss, there are some really rough and tough areas once you get west of Dixie Highway.

I'd think for that price point, you'd be able to get a no frills one bedroom apartment in a older building (1960's-1970's) in a pretty decent area.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,401 times
If you can find something more than a studio with a Fort Lauderdale address (not Margate, not Lauderhill) for $800 that looks like a nice place to you, this 4 year transplant will vote you found a GREAT deal.

However, I am curious to know what source you are looking at where the range is mostly 650-800.

I just checked one website and the price-sorted listings under $1000 fit on 2 pages......and there were 24 pages in total.

Fort Lauderdale is by no means an inexpensive place to live.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Where are you looking? The ghetto? The only place you'll find apartments in Fort Lauderdale or Pompano for $600-800 is in cracktown. I would never live in a place that cheap here. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A good apartment in Fort Lauderdale runs at least $1000. That would be the absolute cheapest for a decent 1BR apartment. Then you have to figure you'll spend extra for utilities and cable.

You can find less expensive units in the western suburbs of Fort Lauderdale like Sunrise, Pembroke Pines, and Coral Springs. But even there you'll spend at least $800.

South FL is an expensive place to live. It is very different than other parts of Florida. You can probably find cheaper rents in suburban Orlando, Tampa, St Pete, and especially northern FL cities like Jacksonville and Tallahassee.

I'm not sure how South FL compares with CONN, but I would imagine it is comparable depending on what part of CONN. Car insurance is very expensive here.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
And I would avoid Pompano Beach altogether unless you're looking on the beach. There are many parts of Pompano that are the worst, most dangerous areas around. $800 will get you a murderer's row ghetto town apartment building. You'll take your life into your hands every day living there. The beach area is safe and nice but I'd imagine the rents are all $1000+

Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
First I admit I haven't looked in a few weeks, but I tend to find prices for rent in the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area to be anywhere from $650-$800, some more or less of course.

My father thinks that's too much for FL. I "argue" that I think those prices seem pretty good for that area. Granted I don't know if they are safe areas or not, but that's nto teh question here right now.

It would seem to me that for an apartment in a decent area, in/around a bigger city like Ft. Lauderdale (versus the "country" FL where my relatives live), $800-ish would be a good deal.

I'd like to hear from both natives AND transplants - what do you think? Expensive, or good deal?
$800 in a good neighborhood is difficult. You can find places for that price, but they are in VERY rough areas.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

205 posts, read 481,102 times
Quote:

Im curious where you found that at? If the rent is that low its probably in the ghetto. In a decent neighborhood your gonna pay 1200 +, I know to rent a house in a nice neighborhood is at least $1600+ .

Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you for the responses.

I found those on Craigslist, and as I said I have no idea if they are in decent or bad areas. That's why I was asking. That price here where I live will get in you in a not so great area, or at least somewhat questionable. So I was curious if that held true for Florida.

I DO KNOW that Ft. Lauderdale is expensive, so I was wary of that price being in a safe area. I was just curious about surrounding areas, for people who KNOW these areas - is it a case of "too good to be true" or not. I know a friend outside Chicago (1-2 hours) who had an apt. for $400 and it was a good area, so I got curious about Florida. However $400 here would have me running FAST in the opposite direction.

That's all. I'm not looking to come down right now, but I do try and do some research and know what to avoid when I DO make that move. So I was curious.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses.

I found those on Craigslist, and as I said I have no idea if they are in decent or bad areas. That's why I was asking. That price here where I live will get in you in a not so great area, or at least somewhat questionable. So I was curious if that held true for Florida.

I DO KNOW that Ft. Lauderdale is expensive, so I was wary of that price being in a safe area. I was just curious about surrounding areas, for people who KNOW these areas - is it a case of "too good to be true" or not. I know a friend outside Chicago (1-2 hours) who had an apt. for $400 and it was a good area, so I got curious about Florida. However $400 here would have me running FAST in the opposite direction.

That's all. I'm not looking to come down right now, but I do try and do some research and know what to avoid when I DO make that move. So I was curious.
Was the $400 apartment a $1200 three bedroom that she shared with 2 other people? Was it in Fort Lauderdale or the surrounding areas? $400 seems quite low for this area. Even ghetto apartments will run more than that.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 PM

MOMMABear - my friend is outside Chicago - she lives about an hour or 2 outside Chicago. And it's something she and she her spouse live in - a one bedroom.

*Sorry, re-reading my post I do make it sound like she lives in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area