Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM

104 posts, read 229,165 times

Advertisements

As far as I can tell, rent and car insurance is higher in the Northeast. Neither my rent nor my car insurance is as high as friends to the north. That said, salaries are lower here.

In your situation, I say give it a try. You may have trouble finding a job in your field, but if you have waittressing/bartending/call center or customer service experience, you can get a job quickly which will keep you from draining your savings while you are still looking for a real job.

Comcast is always hiring. Low starting pay, but good benefits and opportunity for OT and commission. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it did well by me until I got a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM

35 posts, read 97,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
As far as I can tell, rent and car insurance is higher in the Northeast. Neither my rent nor my car insurance is as high as friends to the north. That said, salaries are lower here.

In your situation, I say give it a try. You may have trouble finding a job in your field, but if you have waittressing/bartending/call center or customer service experience, you can get a job quickly which will keep you from draining your savings while you are still looking for a real job.

Comcast is always hiring. Low starting pay, but good benefits and opportunity for OT and commission. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it did well by me until I got a better job.
Thanks! I'm working as a Case Manager now in the social service field but I also have 8 years of customer service exp. I did customer service during high school and college to pay my way through college. Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 PM

270 posts, read 506,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikPik View Post
Thanks! I'm working as a Case Manager now in the social service field but I also have 8 years of customer service exp. I did customer service during high school and college to pay my way through college. Thanks for the advice!

Just a quick note....saw news reports yesterday that the Miami area had the worst unemployment rate in the country. Best to really recheck that fact before moving. Florida has the same issues as Hawaii, as many see "paradise"
and life must still go on and routines of daily life are the same for housing and food, etc. At least in Florida, you are not stuck with a long expensive air fare to leave and can drive out. Even so, many people I knew while I lived there had expectations that were quickly slammed after arrival. Not to be a negative person, but hope you are certain about your resources prior to a move. Best success!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxbr View Post
got job interview while on vacation, moved 1 week later.

Was this reccently or years ago? Just trying to get an idea b/c some people say that it takes FOREVER to find a job and some people tell me that they found a job in a week or a month.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM

I was out of work for six months because I was only applying to jobs I wanted to do-Once I saw I had to do what it took to get by for awhile, I was employed almost immediately. From the time I applied to Comcast to hire was less than one month. Chose night shifts with weekdays off to go on interviews, and had the job I wanted a year later. Actually, I didn't really start looking seriously until about six months ago, but my timing was good.

It can be done-You likely will have to settle for a lesser job, but even with the unemployment in this area, if you can suck it up and hack telephone customer service, you can be employed quickly. Personally, I would have gone with waittressing if I had that skill, but I found a way to make it work.

It's up to you whether the glass is half full or empty. You sound like an optimist.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I was out of work for six months because I was only applying to jobs I wanted to do-Once I saw I had to do what it took to get by for awhile, I was employed almost immediately. From the time I applied to Comcast to hire was less than one month. Chose night shifts with weekdays off to go on interviews, and had the job I wanted a year later. Actually, I didn't really start looking seriously until about six months ago, but my timing was good.

It can be done-You likely will have to settle for a lesser job, but even with the unemployment in this area, if you can suck it up and hack telephone customer service, you can be employed quickly. Personally, I would have gone with waittressing if I had that skill, but I found a way to make it work.

It's up to you whether the glass is half full or empty. You sound like an optimist.
Hi! Thanks for posting this it makes me feel better after some of the not so positive responses. I like to see both sides of it. I know its not going to be easy but im up for the challenge. I have 8 years of customer service experience so Im thinking hopefully I can quickly get a customer service job while I look for a good position in my field.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 AM

389 posts, read 1,084,574 times
My wife just got a job after looking since June. And she has a heck of a lot of experience. Also, she only got the interview because of a friend of mine who set it up.

What I'm saying is that there is a lot of competition out there. You may have 8 years experience but there are those with 10 or 12 years who are willing to take less money. My aunt has been out of work officially for almost 2 years!!!

Here in S. FL not only is difficult because of competition but also not what you know, but who you know.

Also say that you do get a customer service job, do you think it would be right to take time off or days off to go interview elsewhere at a new job? They may let you go before you even find something else.

Yes there are those who luckily find a job quick but that is not the norm these days. You are making a big mistake coming down here when neither of you have a job. I truly hope it works out for you guys.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM

I got an interview for every CS position I applied for. I turned down three because they paid poorly and I wasn't yet desperate. I quit the two jobs I had prior to Comcast because the first was a scam, and the second wasn't as reliable and steady as Comcast. The only people who were let go that I know of at Comcast were let go for going off on a customer, and poor attendance. They do constantly hire. Every person I referred there was hired. All it takes is passing a simple test online, and a personality profile that is basically common sense answers. They even accommodated me for an interview in the evening because I had another job I was trying on at the time. Overall, I had a pretty good experience there. The free cable with all channels and 20mg internet was pretty sweet, too.

Tag support, IRT, and Convergys are call centers which hire almost constantly. United health is currently hiring for about $14.50 hourly, and offer work at home after you complete your first 3-6 months successfully. American Express is currently hiring, and hires fairly frequently. There is an answering service/call center in Margate that's been in business for almost 30 years, and I see them hiring quite frequently too. AT&T is always hiring for retail locations, and the pay is good, but the hiring process can take several months.

I've had and still have people call me from my resume on Monster asking for interviews. Customer service work can be the pits, but it's always hiring. If you can pass a drug screen, background check, be punctual and sit on a phone all day, every day, you will never be unemployed. Even in this depressed job market, there is always high turnover.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,084,574 times
Quote:
I've had and still have people call me from my resume on Monster asking for interviews. Customer service work can be the pits, but it's always hiring. If you can pass a drug screen, background check, be punctual and sit on a phone all day, every day, you will never be unemployed. Even in this depressed job market, there is always high turnover.

You are also missing, "If you are willing to earn a low income". These days $14.50 doesn't help much unfortunately.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM

The OP mentioned she would have a place to stay so expenses would be low. You may want to read the start of the thread.

IMO, anyone who turns down $14.50 hourly deserves to be unemployed. that's exactly $14.50 more than zero, and still more than unemployment pays.

So I guess what you're saying is that there are no jobs that meet your lofty expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area