Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM

36 posts, read 85,199 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have searched through the threads and see several posts about this subject but all seem pretty out of date and not necessarily the best answer for my particular situation....

So we are moving to the Miami area for work (yes I have a job already lined up). I do not have to work at a specific office, as I will be working from home and I will be working all over the South Florida area. Therefore, location is based on desire and traffic (I understand that there is traffic everywhere, but I would prefer not be stuck trying to get out of South Beach for two hours).

We are open to both the Miami area and the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Here are some details to help with the suggestions:
1. As stated above location is totally a free for all (obviously within reason financially, while my salary is decent, we are not outlandish and would prefer rent under about $1800 - is $1800 a ridiculous attempt?)
2. We would like to rent at first to get a feel for the city and the areas that "fit" us.
3. Yes my wife and I both speak Spanish
4. We are not party all night people
5. We are moving with a toddler and a dog
6. We will be moving with only one car and therefore, my wife would like an area where she can walk, bike etc during the day
7. We will likely be in another city before our child is in school, so that it not a concern as well

Please save all of the Miami hating comments ......... We know Miami is Miami..... it's rude, crowded, and miserable to a lot of people, but there is no question about it, we ARE moving there for my job and we will make it home and we will make the best of it. We are both from large cities and are used to city life and international living....

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Which part of Miami is the work at?

If work is in the downtown area, I think you should look at Brickell.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Hi Ruski, I am one of those lucky guys that gets to call home the office and still get paid lol. So really it is a free for all as far as location. We are definitely not opposed to Ft. Lauderdale/ Hollywood, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 AM

22 posts, read 33,432 times
Congratulations all the way around....I'm in NY & still looking for a job in Florida. I used to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area w/ my 2 children & loved it. Miami was our twice a month & only weekends getaway. But congrats to you and your family.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondsquirrel View Post
Hi Ruski, I am one of those lucky guys that gets to call home the office and still get paid lol. So really it is a free for all as far as location. We are definitely not opposed to Ft. Lauderdale/ Hollywood, etc.
Well, then no need to live in Miami.

Look at Lauderdale by the Sea.

OR if you still need to be closer to Miami and have a great beach and modern highrises, check out Sunny Isles.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 AM

99 posts, read 304,324 times
I would look to live in Broward if your work take you all over South Florida (which includes Palm Beach). It is central to all 3 counties and its especially easy to get around anywhere from Broward. The issue with Dade is traffic... anywhere south of I95 and you are in a terminal situation for traffic as South Dixie will choke up with traffic several times a day. The best beaches are in Broward, and if you have a budget of $1,800, see if you can get into a comfortable spot near downtown FTL, as things are more geared for walking... look east of downtown (Las Olas down to the beach), Rio Vista area, along the coast, Bayview area between Sunrise and Oakland; central Broward, a rental a The Veranda in Plantation, also the new apartments at the Fountain Shoppes, The Tao Towers in Sunrise (very easy access to main arteries going to all parts of South Florida), rentals at Magnolia in Weston (farthest western area of Broward, true suburbs), I'll try to come up with more. My point for picking these spots is that you want areas that are central to Broward areas convenient for living. They have grocery stores near by and that draws restaurants and many other stores that will are driven to be near an anchor like Publix. These areas are also higher density than most... close to parks, libraries, or other public areas. Easy access to 595, or I95, or Turnpike, some may have traffic issues, but the morning commute is not a concern for you... and if you have to hit the road at that time, you can pick alternate routes to get you out of the worst chokeholds. With only one car in Florida, you have to arrange schedules well, it is possible to do with minor annoyance if you work from home. Your dog is the only issue I can't address personally... as long as its a small dog, you should have very little issue. A large dog may limit some options, but for the most part, SoFla is dog friendly. I think Miami has a no pit bull ordinance.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the replies! AttilaLaczko, thanks for the details, exactly what I was looking for! We are definitely pulling for Broward at this point and are kind of weighing out our options. The good thing is I will be heading down before the family, so I will have the opportunity to try to "get a feel" for the areas. However, I want to get as many details as possible from locals who know the "truth". Lots of areas can seem appealing to an outsider that a local would avoid like the plague.

We will have absolutely no problem with the single car because not only do I work from home, but I set my schedule; it is more of an inconvenience than anything. The walking is more about fun than necessity if you know what I mean. As well, our dog is small and any landlord would see her and know that she is well taking care of and well trained.

Does anyone know anything about Lighthouse Point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area