Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhitchcock View Post
Forbes magazine rated Parkland schools #1 in the US. The high school is in the top 1 percent in the nation and of course the kids come from only one middle school.
The OP doesn't know which middle school that is. I believe it is West Glades Middle School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 02:34 AM

8 posts, read 7,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalos View Post
Ok, so my daughter is in VSY Elementary now, blue ribbon/magnet/Montessori all perks school, she is finishing 3rd grade and doing pretty good academically (top student, high scores etc), the dilemma is what middle school would be the best for her? We don't own a property so we can move around Broward county, although I`d rather stay around Fort Lauderdale. I heard the best place is American Heritage, which we cant afford, could she get scollarship from them? It says on the website they give it to "faculty" kids but they didn't list any criteria (scores etc). What about NOVA? It`s also magnet but I`m confused with all lotto things, we did get into VSY true lottery but its elementary, I thought to get to good middle school you need to pass some test or something like that.. Is it hard to get there, how big is the pool? Anyway, I`m not from here and I don't know many Americans so I don't really know much about education system. Can somebody, please, help me? What I wont to know is which middle/high school is the best (and free) so we can take advantage of my daughter bright brain
Thank you.

I am not sure how this works, first time I've used it. If you can get a scholarship for American Heritage, I think that would be the best school and they have a location in Plantation which is in Ft Lauderdale. I am not familiar with Middle Schools in Ft Lauderdale but my son is a Senior at Nova High which is right next to Nova Middle and has been going there since 9th grade. The lottery bit is you have to apply a year in advance, or rather on December prior to the next school year.... for example, if she is going to be in 6th grade in the Fall of 2015 then you need to apply for Nova or any other Magnet School in Broward County by December 2014. Just go to www.BrowardSchools.com to check out all schools in Broward. Magnet Schools will admit a student based on grades and time in which the application was received. With Nova you need the grades and then it doesn't matter if your application is the first or the last, once they have all the applicants they draw names as in a lottery until they fill all spots available. Any school is good providing your child is organized and does her homework and likes school. Those students will always succeed no matter what school you put them in. The problem with Nova is that there are so many students that the kids that are not on top of their work will stay behind because they don't have the time to dedicate to each particular issue, and also there are just so many kids, 3000+ in the high school level, I prefer a smaller setting and better student/teacher ratio. For High School Look into William T. McFatter Technical School in Davie, the students not only graduate with a HS Diploma, they also graduate with a Technical Diploma so look into that. You need to ask your child which are her interests, there are schools for different interests and the best thing is to get her to take challenging classes as in Honors and Honors and AP in HS. Hope this helps some.

Last edited by nybaby40; 09-22-2014 at 02:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area