Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 15,986 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to S. Florida two years ago, we rented in Aventura and while we liked being near the water and having a lot within close driving distance we did not like the traffic, how long it took us to get to the interstate, and the snowbirds. We then rented in west pembroke pines and while we've enjoyed things being more spread out, and having an easy commute down the turnpike extension we can no longer walk to the grocery store or get anywhere quickly (because going up and down pines blvd takes almost an hour at most times of the day).

We want to live somewhere with low crime (haha), and in an area that we can easily get around. The tough part now is that I am employed at FIU (MMC campus) and he is employed in Lakeworth. He doesn't mind a longer commute than what I will have, because I'm the one who has to drop off and pick up the baby from daycare. We would like to stick with Broward county (although it feels like most of Broward is being overrun by criminals) but perhaps we've missed a really great area in Dade county. I'm just tired of having to live either east of US1 or west of I75 (University in some places) to feel safe. Are these really my only options or is there something I'm missing? We'd love to move even further north into WPB, but that kind of commute is just totally unrealistic for me to do everyday. Suggestions are appreciated.

Our rent limit is ~$1600 a month with a little wiggle room either way. Forgot to mention we'd also like to be within walking distance to a park/walking trail for the kid.

Also wanted to say we don't care what race or ethnicity the neighborhood predominately is, as long as it's safe. And I'm so tired of most of these condo buildings being 55+...frustrated that I can't find a decent building that's not age restricted.

Last edited by PinkerTish; 03-18-2013 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,844,853 times
Did you check Weston?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,224,877 times
I live in Weston too and there are many townhomes for rent (especially in the Bonaventure section, which is the oldest section). There are also about 3 or 4 developments that are rentals (apts.) However, it does put you a bit further up the road, for your commute, and saves about 10, 15 minutes for your husband. I just did a quick check on line and you could rent a townhome in the Bonaventure section for $1600 (even less!)

Did you also look in Hollywood at all? By TY Park? I know someone who lives in Emerald Oaks and loves it. Emerald Oaks is a gated townhome community across the street from TY Park. Around the corner is a Starbucks and down the street (Sheridan) is a Publix. It is near I-95. Hollywood would be about the same commute as living in Aventura -- although it's a bit to the north, you're closer to the interstate than you are in Aventura. I checked a few listings in Emerald Oaks and the rents are in the $1700 - $1800 range.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM

142 posts, read 440,379 times
Weston here too. And while I'm not familiar with the areas you're describing driving to, I love the area for its kid friendliness, overall safety and yes, parks!

I'm not sure what type of place you're looking for, 2 bedroom, 3, 4? What about square footage? But, you can certainly find something in the 2-3 bedroom range. I just did a search on my realtor app and there's certainly rentals for under $1,600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area