Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM

105 posts, read 250,143 times

Advertisements

time and time again I hear people complain about the rudeness of South Floridians. today in line at store, heard guy tell clerk "I never knew how rude people could be until I moved to Florida." He then went on to say "It's different on the west coast of FL, you got more Midwesterners over there."

It made me think....well in some places ppl don't even have convos with the clerks. I too, have complained many a time about how rude South FL can be. I, too, have complained that the women down here seem like big time a**holes compared to the more hospitable women of the South or Midwest. But thennnnn againnnn..........

I also feel a lot of love here. More so, then in Chicago and its burbs. I have been here for over five years and now I always run into people I know here in South FL. People who might have known me from a job or a class, still remember me and give me a big handshake or hug even if I hadn't seen them for years. That happend today actually. I also find the guys to be very cool and not so jealous if one of their "girls" flirts with me a little. I also feel more people talk to me when I'm out and about so I don't know.

It's hard for me to tell if South FL is a rude place or a friendly place sometimes. I think I might have had some closer friends back in Chicago but that was prob cuz I was younger and those were ppl I went to high school and college with. But, overall the South FL people seem pretty dang cool.

I still think a city like ATL or Houston would maybe be better for me cuz I do get bored in Broward. But now I have a very serious girlfriend here so idk what to do

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
South Florida has people from everywhere. North, south, west, Midwest and different countries. Your will encounter rude people for sure, but your going to find the full spectrum of personality types here. South Florida, especially Broward County, tends to be what you make of it socially.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
I am only rude when someone is doing 50mph in the left lane in front of me, in a 65mph or 70mph zone.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM

264 posts, read 774,902 times
Usually the people who think so are the super conservative freaks who live in a bubble, people who aren't very outgoing, or people who have just had a bad experience and blows it out of proportion.

South Florida is great, happy to call it home.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM

203 posts, read 519,114 times
We are in a recession do you think everyone is going to be in a happy mood? Lol.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,475,304 times
South FL is very rude compared to other parts of FL, the South, and the Midwest. Why? Because people don't say hi to strangers in public. People here tend to be blunt, straight to the point, and in a hurry. People here do not want to hang around talking to someone they don't know unless there's a reason. People here have tough defensive shells when it comes to strangers approaching them. This is because there are so many scam artists out there and when someone approaches you in public, it usually means they are trying to get something from you. We also have lots of folks from NY who are fast paced and blunt.

I have frequently visited other areas such as Atlanta and other parts of the South. People are just friendlier to strangers in public. People take the time to stop and chat, and do not seem to be in a great hurry. They don't have these tough defense mechanisms up where anyone who approaches them is trying to scam them. People are more gullible and allow you to get to know them easier. I visited Chicago once and could not believe how friendly people where in a major city. Some businessman stopped to help me with directions and gave me elaborate directions. I was thinking this would never happen in South FL. If someone asked for directions in South FL, a common response would be "get a GPS". lol.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 AM

264 posts, read 774,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
Usually the people who think so are the super conservative freaks who live in a bubble, people who aren't very outgoing, or people who have just had a bad experience and blows it out of proportion.

South Florida is great, happy to call it home.
nolefan, are you any one of these types of people I've listed? I'm willing to bet so

Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 AM

229 posts, read 534,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
If someone asked for directions in South FL, a common response would be "get a GPS". lol.
Never had that response down here (or even heard of it). People have been happy to give directions in my experience.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile 17 years ago but still....

I was on I-95 going north - middle lane. Had a blowout, took foot off the gas and tried to coast over to the left lane and get off the road. A huge truck came out of nowhere and helped me. So did tons of other people.

It was during morning rush hour also. True kindness of strangers.

Lived in South Florida most of my life; I love it here. Hint - try holding a door for someone, say "thank you" once in a while - maybe what you pass out will help the next person.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Never had that response down here (or even heard of it). People have been happy to give directions in my experience.
Agree. Maybe a 16 year old might say something like that, but the average person will probably; 1. reluctantly give directions; 2. just give directions or; 3. blow them off completely, with #2 being the most common occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area