Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM

70 posts, read 217,303 times

Advertisements

I had a major change occur end of 2012 and I am setting out to seek MAJOR CHANGE

I have spent my 27 years of living in Wisconsin and surrounding COLD areas I have dabbled with the idea of going south for years & years!!!

My biggest dilema I am facing right now is.... Go to Ft. Lauderdale with my brother, or head to Phoenix on my own. (Everywhere I have ever moved, has been on my own, it is not an issue)

Either way, both places I'd have to find a job - which I do not foresee as a problem.. I guess I am just looking for opinions really...

Do you love living in Florida??? Have you been to Phoenix? Would you steer clear of one or the other??

I guess some things that factor into it as well, I am single white 27 year old female.. I would prefer to be SAFE =) ANY thoughts, regardless of what they are --- ARE APPRECIATED 100%!

I am plan on moving in about 5-6 months. After summer I am shooting for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
I love living in Florida. I have been to the Phoenix area a couple of times -- I wouldn't really steer clear of one versus the other. Both get HOT in the summer -- it does cool down a bit more in the evening in Phoenix. Although both areas are known for warm weather year round, and are large cities with large city advantages (and problems) they are different in what they offer. Phoenix has the desert -- do you enjoy hikes, mountains, and not miss green grass? Fort Lauderdale has the ocean -- do you enjoy swimming, the beach, and would not be bothered by high humidity?

Greater Fort Lauderdale has plenty of safe areas to live -- I'm sure Phoenix does too. Are they safer than Wisconsin? I guess it depends on where you live in Wisconsin, but my gut tells me that both areas are not as safe as the state overall. Cost of living? Overall, I believe Fort Lauderdale is more expensive than Phoenix (and both more than Wisconsin). Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM

70 posts, read 217,303 times
Helps a GREAT deal Thanks so much.

Florida is amazing, and I feel I would lean more towards Florida, as I love the ocean AND GRASS lol....BUT...... I cannot handle humidity..

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
I have lived in Florida - and spent time in PHX. If I had to choose I would choose PHX:
1. Job Market - many more opportunities IMO - there is a strong tourist/service industry there and also a number of corporations (which is lacking in SFL)
2. Similar climates - although I think PHX is more bearable - you do get the windstorms, but no hurricanes
3. The people seem a bit more pleasant
4. The variety of landscape - ironic in that it's mostly desert - but you can go to Flagstaff, the mountains, there are lakes - it is far more diverse than SFL

the plus for SFL i think is the proximity to the Caribbean - which makes travel there easy and more affordable;
the fun/beautiful people and landscape
the social/club scene
Im thinking . . .

Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM

242 posts, read 499,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I have lived in Florida - and spent time in PHX. If I had to choose I would choose PHX:
1. Job Market - many more opportunities IMO - there is a strong tourist/service industry there and also a number of corporations (which is lacking in SFL)
2. Similar climates - although I think PHX is more bearable - you do get the windstorms, but no hurricanes
3. The people seem a bit more pleasant
4. The variety of landscape - ironic in that it's mostly desert - but you can go to Flagstaff, the mountains, there are lakes - it is far more diverse than SFL

the plus for SFL i think is the proximity to the Caribbean - which makes travel there easy and more affordable;
the fun/beautiful people and landscape
the social/club scene
Im thinking . . .
i am from fort lauderdale and moved up here to southern pa to go back to school.
i am planning on moving to the los angeles area in 5 months. before that i had been contemplating moving to phoenix and i had researched the phoenix area prior to deciding on los angeles.
phoenix cost of living is way cheaper than florida, fort lauderdale/miami areas at least. there are more jobs in phoenix, another reason i left florida, no jobs. the weather gets hot but the nights are cool. and there is no humidity. there are no beaches but you can always drive the 5 hours t los angeles.
there are many new businesses always opening up in phoenix because there is a lot of land for brick and mortar businesses.
i then changed my mind and decided los angeles since it's only about 5 hours west i thought why not try to live in a bigger city, you see i have always wanted to live in los angeles but kept putting it off, telling myself that it was not feasible for me to live there. then i said, why not just go for it, if it doesn't work out then phoenix will be my alternative city to live.
los angeles will be costing me about 400-500 a month more for expenses but the wages are also higher than phoenix and because it is the 2nd largest city in the usa there are way more jobs available.
we only live once so go for what you want. there is no failing, if you tried and it doesn't work out, at least you tried. which is a lot more than some people do in their lives.
good luck with your move.
btw i am a middle-aged female, single if this matters, majoring in computer sciences.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
i think florida and aeizona are one of the best states in america, its hard to decide actually. how important is water to you and geenery? because phoenix area is very dry and doesnt have acces to any beaches

Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
I remember a bunch of years ago I arrived in Phoenix... for some reason I was expecting to see red rocks. Instead all I saw were vast expanses of brown-grey hills. It was a wrong time of the year, and there was no grass. I remember getting pretty depressed. Not like "this sucks, let me get all moody now". Just somehow, on its own, my mood went sour.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:10 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
I have lived in Florida for over 20 years ... never expected to do so for so long. I have been back and forth to Arizona a number of times thinking we may want to live there some day ... specifically around the Sedona/Prescott area. I enjoy the crisp winters there and the sky is so clear, etc. The red rocks in Sedona are mesmerizing, but that can wear off a bit too just like anything else. I think the allure of Arizona is that it is a polar opposite of Florida and a place we enjoy going to, but I don't think living there is for us. Besides, the heat in either Florida or Arizona can get brutal -- ideally, we would prefer the San Diego or San Francisco area for climate not cost. Also, being able to see or go to the ocean or be able to walk on the beach is a big deal for us. And mind you, it's not that I am in love with Florida, its just we haven't found anything better for now. Catch me again after our next hurricane ... :-)

Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Sedona is great. But kind of a small place.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM

140 posts, read 399,919 times
I lived in NM & Ft Laud. NM similer to AZ but with colder winters. I got tired of the brown and sand storms yr around. No one warned me about the windy & sandy Spring season.

I'm moving back to green wet Ft Lauderdale soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area