Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,548 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Miami Beach, where the quality of life as well as the quality of education has steadily gone down. Recently had the opportunity to attend a Tennis Tournament in Weston for my 10 year old, and have made my mind to to relocate to Weston at the end of this school year. I have done some research on schools and leaning toward American Heritage School for both children. Would appreciate any ideas on a nice communities to begin my home search. I don't play golf and would like a well equipped community center & pool area, while being in the vicinity of the Midtown Heath club and YMCA.
Looking for an area I can feel safe letting kids play outside on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 02:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirfer View Post
Currently living in Miami Beach, where the quality of life as well as the quality of education has steadily gone down. Recently had the opportunity to attend a Tennis Tournament in Weston for my 10 year old, and have made my mind to to relocate to Weston at the end of this school year. I have done some research on schools and leaning toward American Heritage School for both children. Would appreciate any ideas on a nice communities to begin my home search. I don't play golf and would like a well equipped community center & pool area, while being in the vicinity of the Midtown Heath club and YMCA.
Hi cirfer, you will probably like Savanna - it has the best community center and pool area. And it is the closest to the YMCA - you can bike on the sidewalk all the way to YMCA from Savanna.
However it is not close to the Midtown Health club - you need to go there by car pretty much across Weston, but that's only 10 minutes

If you want to be half way between the two, then you could look at Weston Hills or Palm/Orchid Islands or Hibiscus Island.

The two communities near the Midtown Athletic club are the Windmill Ranches (where Dan Marino used to live) or Country Isles. Some Country Isles subdivisions are not gated, but are still very safe and lovely.

Please check your direct messages, I sent you a DM.

Last edited by ruski; 12-11-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM

By the way, this is the pool / community center in Savanna, aka "Savanna Commons". Three pools and a water slide!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=westo...gl=us&t=h&z=19

Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Oh, and this is a map of the developments I made for someone a while ago

Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
I've lived in Weston for not quite 20 years (moved here shortly after it was incorporate as a city) so I'll give you my perspective. You didn't say what your price range was for homes, so depending on your budget, you might be making some trade offs, or maybe not.

As for developments being in the vicinity of Midtown Athletic Club and the Y, all of the developments in Weston are within easy driving distance -- Weston is not even 30 square miles so you can get to one end of the city to the other in an easy 15 minutes -- sometimes 20 depending on whether or not you hit all the lights. As for safety, Weston was recently named one of the safest cities in America by Neighborhood Scout -- it was the only city in Broward so honored. Nearly every development is gated.

All the gated developments have a community pool or pools -- the only one that I can think of off-hand that has a community center/clubhouse, in addition to a couple of pools, is the Savanna development -- there's a water slide, basketball court, football field and clubhouse. Savanna is just down the street from the Y and about a 15 minute drive, if that, to Midtown.

The oldest section of Weston, Bonaventure, requires mandatory membership to its community center, which has an exercise center, two pools, racquetball court, a theater, and inside basketball gym. I think the fee is around $300 a year. Much of Bonaventure is not gated, as it is older, but it is also very safe.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Another advantage of Savanna is its size. It is one of the larger communities in Weston, and this allows for lower HOA fees ($320 per Quarter, last time I checked).

Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
There is no community pool in The Landings, although most home have private ones. There is a park in the center with basketball courts though.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
How much do you want to spend on a house?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM

351 posts, read 460,988 times
Stay away from Savanna if you can. Yes, it's a large community, but most houses are almost one on top of each other with no backyard (over 3000 houses) So, if you like the cookie cutter feel and NOT high-quality construction and a place your friends will hate when they come to visit you on new year's eve, then Savanna could be your place. Depending on your budget Weston has great communities from which you can bike to both midtown and YMCA.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

That's a little harsh. On top of each other? There is plenty of elbow room in Savanna.

Homes in Weston Hills aren't THAT much further apart.

Also if you find a place on a wedge-shaped lot and/or and or on a corner and/or with a lake in the backyard, you will have plenty of room.

Take a look at my old house in Savanna, for example:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area