Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 23,582 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are relocating from Northern California (Bay Area) as my husband is taking a job offer in Miami, near the port area early next year. I've been researching areas for us to relocate to and am debating between Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. We are in our mid 30's and have one daughter who is 2 years old. I've read some good, but mostly bad things on here about Miami area and some bad, mostly good things about Ft. Lauderdale area, so I'm a bit torn.

We are looking for a safe, family-friendly, diverse neighborhood with good public schools that is close to shopping/restaurants, parks, hospital, etc. We're also taking into consideration commute/traffic so something close to the Miami port area or vicinity would be nice, however my husband is willing to commute if it means the above criteria is met or close to it. We are looking to rent a townhouse (due to all amenities) for a year or so before we purchase a home and our budget is in the $2k range per month.

Please, whatever insight or suggestions you can offer is greatly appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,835,827 times
Miami Shores?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 42,248 times
Welcome to South Florida. I have lived in Miami and Fort Lauderdale area for 24 years. I have kids as well, so the area I will recommend if you wish to be in the Miami area is Miami Lakes. Very beautiful and family oriented. If you wish to be in the Broward County (Fort Lauderdale area) You will want to be in the following: Pembroke Pines, West Miramar, or Weston. In Fort Lauderdale, you want to stay WEST of University Dr. If you go east, you will enter what's known as the ghetto STAY AWAY from Sunrise, downtown areas... Its run down by bums.

You're budget is perfect! Things are not cheap. The saying "you get what you pay for", definitely true here! You pay less, you get higher crime rate and neighborhood won't be good, run down and such.

I lived in Miami Beach, I am Cuban, but I will not live in Miami Beach again. Too many Cubans, loud, not family oriented.

I would have to honestly say that some of the best schools are in Pembroke Pines and Weston. Even better if you go with a Charter School. You will need to apply for it but its free if you are selected.

If you have any other questions or concern, let me know.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Thank you so much orlavin! I will look into Miami Lakes. The areas you mentioned in Ft. Lauderdale are ones I've seen recommended by many in this forum, which I will be looking into as well. I appreciate your time and suggestions! I will let you know if I have any other q's. Thanks a bunch!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
First, do you speak fluent Spanish? If not, I would not recommend living anywhere in Miami or Miami-Dade County. The vast majority of residents there are of a Latin background and speak Spanish as their primary language. This will be a major adjustment and culture shock to a family not familiar with the area. You can get by without knowing Spanish, but it will limit your career prospects.

Additionally, Miami is significantly more expensive to live in than Fort Lauderdale, has way worse traffic, worse crime, and is 2-3X as dense. Miami is a big bustling city and Fort Lauderdale is a small city in a big suburbia. Miami is a great place to visit, has lots of activities to do, lots of culture and iconic architecture. Living there is a different type of animal. I know because I did it. I now live in Broward. I am close enough to drive to Miami easily whenever I went. It is only 30-45 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach. But I don't need to put up with the traffic and high prices of Miami.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 AM

Thank you Nolefan34! You voiced a lot of my main concerns about living in Miami. I've been seeing the same concerns in other posts. No, I don't speak Spanish and was aware of this. I've decided to focus my efforts on Ft. Lauderdale suburbs and saw several posts mentioning, Cooper City, Weston, Pembroke Pines, and Miramar so I am looking into those areas now. Any further insight you (or anyone else) can lend regarding these areas or other ones, I'm all ears!

Thanks so much!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,835,827 times
Weston

Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM

32 posts, read 52,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Living there is a different type of animal. I know because I did it. I now live in Broward. I am close enough to drive to Miami easily whenever I went. It is only 30-45 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach. But I don't need to put up with the traffic and high prices of Miami.
Very well said.

If you have a budget of $2K per month, then you'll absolutely adore Weston. There are about half-a-dozen townhome communities (San Messina, San Sebastian, San Mateo, Courtyards on the Grove, etc.) where you can find a 3-4 bed w/ a garage for that price. As I mentioned in my reply to your other post about the commute, Weston is a bit farther away from the Port of Miami but the commute will offer you less traffic because of the express lanes. The schools are absolutely top notch!!

The only knock on Weston from a home-ownership standpoint are the taxes. When it comes time to buy, you might find that Cooper City will offer you more value without compromising the quality of schools/life and its a little more "central" or closer to the beaches, entertainment, activities, night life, etc.

Pembroke Pines and Miramar will give you more bang for your buck. Most people will recommend that you stay West of University or even West of I-75 (much better) but the commute to the Port of Miami from these areas can be painful. You definitely want to avoid SR 826 at anytime of day.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks again ACast! This information, and the post re traffic are extremely helpful and I am very appreciative

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
Weston is the #1 choice overall, but probably the most expensive. Pembroke Pines and Cooper City are also good choices as long as you're in reasonable distance to Florida's Turnpike to commute south to 95. I would avoid Miramar because the nicer neighborhoods are all west of I-75. You would need to use 75 to the Palmetto to the Dolphin. That is a BRUTAL commute. From Weston, Cooper City, and Pembroke Pines, you can get to the Turnpike easier, then go south to 95. Neither way is good, but the TPK to 95 path is easier than the other.

I would also look at parts of Davie, Plantation, Sunrise, and Coral Springs. People have a lot of negative things to say about Sunrise lately, but when I drive through it looks pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area