Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
84 South in Sunrise (which gets bunched in with Weston) is majority White too. Musclehead you know more about who lives where than I do hahahah. I agree about *some* of the New York transplants. Except for me, I'm ok. Everyone else is pissed .

Savannah IMO is a mess compared to some of the other communities. I hear about a lot of riff raff, vandalism, some burglary there. The Isles is nice.

As I have family in Weston , I am there all the time for dinner on the weekends , etc , etc . If I had a family I would live there or in Parkland as they are my favorites communities in South Florida ... Boca is nice for now , but long term I would prefer the other communities .

Savanna is actually pretty nice , I was in there recently . It just has way too many people , I believe over 3,000.00 houses !!

Also too many teenagers both Hispanic and White with to much time on their hands !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloozoe View Post
All helpful and interesting - thanks.

My wife has friends who recently moved from Weston because their particular neighborhood was so heavily spanish-speaking that they felt somewhat excluded. Not that their neighbors weren't nice, or that they have any dislike for hispanics, but simply that when the neighbors were together, Spanish was the language spoken most often.

Perhaps I've been in the NY metro-area too long, where my friends (but not I, thank god) routinely endure commutes of 90 minutes each way into Manhattan, but - according to mapquest, at least - it's 21 miles and 27 minutes to my office in Hollywood from Weston and 26 miles and 35 minutes from Parkland. I don't find either prospect daunting and certainly the extra eight minutes doesn't strike me as much of an issue - again assuming we were to prefer Parkland.

I'll be getting down there the weekend of 1/19, and will certainly check out CC, Weston and Parkland first hand, and see what strikes my fancy.

BTW, a real estate agent I've been speaking to - specifically about Parkland - also advises renting and thinks prices will almost certainly be lower at the end of our lease. As this advice would seem counter to her self-interest, it carries all the more weight.
It will not take you 27 minutes to get from Weston to Hollywood unless you can travel at off peak hours. Having lived in NY I can tell you that commutes are not as long as they are in NY, but there IS traffic and there is very little in the way of mass transit.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
84 South in Sunrise (which gets bunched in with Weston) is majority White too. Musclehead you know more about who lives where than I do hahahah. I agree about *some* of the New York transplants. Except for me, I'm ok. Everyone else is pissed .

Savannah IMO is a mess compared to some of the other communities. I hear about a lot of riff raff, vandalism, some burglary there. The Isles is nice.
Have you been in Savanna or is it just hearsay? I live in Savanna and there has been no more vandalism here than anywhere else (remember all the vandalism in The Ridges?). I don't see alot of riff raff here. The houses are well kept.

You can add me to the list of people who love my spanish speaking neighbors. I don't care what language other people speak. They speak english to me because they know I don't speak spanish. I find my neighbors here in Savanna to be very nice, well educated people who are very family oriented.

Other NYers might be pissed off all the time, but I'm ok.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Have you been in Savanna or is it just hearsay? I live in Savanna and there has been no more vandalism here than anywhere else (remember all the vandalism in The Ridges?). I don't see alot of riff raff here. The houses are well kept.

You can add me to the list of people who love my spanish speaking neighbors. I don't care what language other people speak. They speak english to me because they know I don't speak spanish. I find my neighbors here in Savanna to be very nice, well educated people who are very family oriented.

Admittedly, I have only been a couple of times. I don't really know anyone there, so no reason to be there. It's nice in there but it's more what I "hear". I might be confusing it with another community because I think it's pretty nice looking in there. Then again, remember what I "heard" about Western? Speaking of High School, I heard theres a lot of teenagers in there with too much time on their hands, which might be the vandalism thing.

I did hear about The Ridges. I also heard their stole stuff out of unlocked cars in Savannah before Christmas (OOOOOOOO, bad crime!). To tell you the truth I don't really know that much about what goes on inside of a lot of the communities because I'm in 84 south (I'm a poser, I guess I should put Sunrise on my location bar ). I know about Bonaventrue and Country Isles more than the rest of Weston. Maybe I could be confusing it with what I *heard* about The Ridges. Is that the one that was having the mold issues?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-04-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I thought Savanna was real nice actually ... I saw the houses in an area called Waterside ... wow impressive and the community pool , club house is huge like a resort hotel ... that said the only thing I did not like was that there are too many people in Savanna and it took us nearly twenty minutes to get in thru the guardhouse on our way to a get together .

Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, I have only been a couple of times. I don't really know anyone there, so no reason to be there. It's nice in there but it's more what I "hear". I might be confusing it with another community because I think it's pretty nice looking in there. Then again, remember what I "heard" about Western? Speaking of High School, I heard theres a lot of teenagers in there with too much time on their hands, which might be the vandalism thing.

I did hear about The Ridges. I also heard their stole stuff out of unlocked cars in Savannah before Christmas (OOOOOOOO, bad crime!). To tell you the truth I don't really know that much about what goes on inside of a lot of the communities because I'm in 84 south (I'm a poser, I guess I should put Sunrise on my location bar ). I know about Bonaventrue and Country Isles more than the rest of Weston. Maybe I could be confusing it with what I *heard* about The Ridges. Is that the one that was having the mold issues?
Any of the communities in that little slice of Sunrise that is just on the other side of Weston road are pretty much the same as Weston. My sons have friends that live over there.

There is some vandalism in all the communities in Weston. It probably is due to teens with to much time on their hands (my teenager goes from football to wrestling to lacrosse) but I don't think there is a large number of kids causing problems in any single community. Savanna and The Ridges are the largest, with the most elaborate community areas so it is probably most visible in those two communities. It's not really a concern for people looking to relocate.

I know people in almost every community in Weston who have had stuff stolen out of their unlocked cars. It's stupid to leave valuable stuff in an unlocked car in an urban/suburban area no matter how nice the neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
I thought Savanna was real nice actually ... I saw the houses in an area called Waterside ... wow impressive and the community pool , club house is huge like a resort hotel ... that said the only thing I did not like was that there are too many people in Savanna and it took us nearly twenty minutes to get in thru the guardhouse on our way to a get together .
We love Savanna Commons. Here's a picture for those who haven't seen it.

http://blog.ewm.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/4.jpg

Gatehouse can get busy at time. When you live here you use the resident's entrance and don't have to wait.

I know someone who live on Waterside. It's a nice street.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I know people in almost every community in Weston who have had stuff stolen out of their unlocked cars. It's stupid to leave valuable stuff in an unlocked car in an urban/suburban area no matter how nice the neighborhood.
A friend of mine in Davie left their door unlocked overnight with their iPod and about 50 dollars worth of cash in the car. And some mints and Chinese food he forgot to take in. When he woke up, he found out a burglar took his leftover Chinese food that he left in the car and some mints. The iPod and the cash were still there. I agree that it's stupid no matter where you are, you better believe the doors are locked no matter where I am.

I mean, check this out. I have some family that live way out in Long Island. They think because they live in an affluent, quiet town in north Suffolk County, they can leave their doors unlocked, their windows open, and, listen to this, their property totally dark at night (despite having adequate lighting, they just want to conserve power). On top of that, this is off a major street. And they no doubt got robbed. It's anywhere.

Look at the #1 highlight on the Herald police blotter

Unlocked car doors were an early Christmas present for burglars in Weston.

• Between 5 p.m. Dec. 13 and 7:45 a.m. Dec. 14, someone entered an unlocked 2004 Mazda in the 600 block of Nandina Drive and stole a box of light fixtures.

• In the 800 block of Nandina Drive, a burglar entered an unlocked 2005 Jeep Liberty between 8 p.m. Dec. 13 and 8 a.m. Dec. 14 and stole an Apple iPod, a pair of sunglasses and a spare-tire cover valued at a total of $460.

• A burglar detached a radio faceplate and stole it from an unlocked '94 Nissan Sentra in the 600 block of Bald Cypress Road between 8 p.m. Dec. 14 and 11 a.m. Dec. 15. It was valued at $100.

Admittedly, it's pretty safe here considering this is all else that happened for such a large area, and it's all typical stuff
Quote:
SUV burglarized: Someone smashed a window and stole a purse containing $520 in cash from a 2007 Nissan sport utility vehicle in the 2400 block of Glades Circle between 10:40 and 11:40 a.m. Dec. 19.

Bicycle theft: Someone stole a silver-and-blue mountain bike valued at $550 from the front of the CVS Pharmacy at 324 Indian Trace. The theft was reported at 4:24 p.m. Dec. 11.

Payday bonanza: At a business in the 3000 block of Universal Boulevard, a 27-year-old employee allegedly received an overpayment of $772.21. When he was told he had been overpaid, he didn't return to work and stopped taking calls. The mistake became a charge of grand theft at 5:09 p.m. Dec. 11.

Plumbing supplies taken: A back-flow meter and copper tubing for six pipelines were stolen from a building in the 1600 block of Market Street. The theft was reported at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 16. Estimated loss: $6,000.

Laptop missing: A diner told sheriff's deputies he left his laptop computer unattended at Catch of the Day, 2210 Weston Rd., and someone stole it. He reported the theft at 4:55 p.m. Dec. 17. The laptop was valued at $1,500.
All but the copper and bicycle theft (lol) purely based on stupidity. Thats why I don't leave crap laying in my car. The #1 crime in Broward (and most anywhere else) is car burglars.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-04-2008 at 09:09 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM

For references sake, heres crime in Cooper City as last reported

Quote:
A burglar cracked open vending machines at a Cooper City school.

A surveillance camera at Cooper City High School, 9401 Stirling Rd., recorded a man wearing white sneakers as he entered the closed school grounds at 3:59 a.m. Dec. 13.

Other cameras traced his movements as he broke into 12 vending machines -- eight inside and four outside the school -- with a crowbar. T

The burglar jumped on top of the machines and removed faceplates that allowed him to open the cash mechanism. He was videotaped as he stuffed cash into his pockets and his shoes.

Vending-machine employees estimated that the thief stole at least $900.

School officials suspect he entered the campus through the football stadium and left the same way about 5 a.m.

It was the fourth time the machines had been burglarized.

Truck stereo stolen:
Between 10:30 p.m. Dec. 3 and 2 p.m. Dec. 4, someone smashed the rear driver's-side window of a 1993 Chevrolet pickup truck in the 5200 block of Southwest 91st Avenue and stole a Pioneer stereo valued at $900 and an Eclipse amplifier valued at $300.

Theft at the pump:
A woman told sheriff's deputies she left her three children in the back seat of her unlocked 2006 Honda Odyssey while she pumped gas at Flamingo Shell, 5704 S. Flamingo Rd., between 4:50 and 4:54 p.m. Dec. 6. She said that as she finished, she saw two men get into a champagne-colored Dodge Durango at the next pump. As it pulled away, she noticed her purse was missing from the center console. She said the purse, valued at $50, contained a Coach wallet valued at $100, credit cards, a Motorola Razr cellphone and $60 in cash.

Beer booster busted:
A man stole a 12-pack of Bud Light beer from the BP station at 10295 Stirling Rd. and ran outside to a black Ford Mustang about 12:55 a.m. Dec. 5, sheriff's deputies said. The clerk who followed him wrote the car's tag number on his palm. Deputies said they found the beer lying in the road and returned it to the store. They said they went to the address on the vehicle's license tag registration in the 4800 block of Southwest 119th Terrace, where the 18-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with petty theft after he was identified by the clerk. The beer was valued at $8.99.

Laptop lifted:
A laptop bag containing a computer, a flash drive, a journal and two other books was stolen from the floor outside an office in the 9400 block of Griffin Road between 4 and 7:14 p.m. Dec. 5. The bag and its contents were valued at $1,195.

Unlocked car burglarized: A burglar entered a 2006 Chrysler 300 in the 11600 block of Southwest 50th Street and stole an AT&T flip phone, a key and $2 in coins between 8 p.m. Dec. 5 and 6:55 a.m. Dec. 6.
12 school vending machines looted - 12/30/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

Typical crap, except for that vending machine thing. Probably kids from the school.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
We love Savanna Commons. Here's a picture for those who haven't seen it.

http://blog.ewm.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/4.jpg

Gatehouse can get busy at time. When you live here you use the resident's entrance and don't have to wait.

I know someone who live on Waterside. It's a nice street.

Momma_bear actually your picture does not do the Savanna Commons pool area justice .... nice try though !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area