Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 PM

30 posts, read 93,600 times

Advertisements

My son has recently been diagnosed with a borderline case of "high functioning autism". So now I have embarked on my struggle to find the absolute best therapy and preschool programs available for him. I am fairly new to South Florida, having only lived here about a year and a half, so I really need help from you all to find the best programs available. We currently reside in Palm Beach County, where my son has received his IEP to enter Sandpiper Shores Elemetary when he turns 3. Has anyone heard anything about this school's ASD program?

Before I commit to this public school program, I would like to know what my "private school" options are in the general area as well? Are they much better than that of the Special Ed at the public school programs?

FYI- We are moving to Parkland on April/May of this year. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 PM

46 posts, read 69,258 times
Hi I am in similar sutuation
Look at the Atlantic Academy in Coral Springs and the Randazzo school in coconut Creek for private /
I would also evaluate your local montessori , might be a good fit.

all the best!!!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 AM

204 posts, read 292,069 times
My mother teaches one of the cluster (autism) classes at Park Trails Elementary in Parkland. I know the program there is pretty good. I say pretty good because it really comes down to the teacher... some of them are AMAZING and others, well, not so much (but that's in any school setting.) If your son is high functioning, he would probably do well in a cluster class. The classes are smaller and they get individualized lessons a lot of the times. I'm not sure how all of the teachers are, but I know my mom will make activities for each student based on their individual needs to help them learn and she has seen amazing progress with some of her students. She also loves parent involvement.

My mom has a website with a lot of really great activities for students with autism. Autism Educators | Download or Share Printable Work Tasks ---- She posts all of the activities that she uses in her classroom on this site, so you can get an idea of some of the things that they do in the cluster class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: