Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:00 PM

440 posts, read 517,504 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone else in the Fort Lauderdale region is concerned about the State of Florida giving permits to allow people to keep poisonous to human pets such as the King Cobra snake that is now still roaming around the Orlando area that got out due to negligence of it's owner when a King Cobra could just as easily be roaming the Fort Lauderdale area if escaped from it's owner as the one in Orlando did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Shocking......another H&H doom and gloom thread......I'll play along....

No, any loose cobras will be killed by the packs of pythons that took over the Everglades!

You do realize that you have a better chance of getting hit by a car, hit by a bolt of lightning or getting shot by a stray bullet than you do of even SEEING a cobra outside of a zoo!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Meh... they roam around India too.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 AM

440 posts, read 517,504 times
Default Latest On Loose King Cobra

I've copied and pasted the latest information on the King Cobra that got loose in Orlando. Kind of scary when you think about what would happen if the same sort of thing happened here in the Fort Lauderdale area, considering the State of Florida's concern about a lethal to humans exotic poisonous snake on the loose.

Florida wildlife officials are no longer searching for a king cobra that escaped from an Orlando home earlier this month.
Officials say they believe the venomous snake is still somewhere on its owner’s property and that the agency is checking in with the owner to make sure he is looking.
Still, one parent, whose child’s school nearby was affected by the loose snake, wasn’t happy.
“If he (the snake owner) really cared, he’d be out there every day of the week looking for it. I mean if it was my snake, which I wouldn’t have it in the first place, I’d be out there every day of the week,” parent (name removed) said.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
H&H, I hate to tell you this but during hurricane Andrew lots of wild animals escaped and many were probably never recovered, including lots of venomous snakes that may someday make their way up to where you live. Read THIS news article if you really want to shake in your boots. The many exotic animals you see all over including parrots, iguanas and various snakes being found near homes should show as proof that many are multiplying and some that we may not see until the day comes that we do see them.

I have personally seen many stores that sell venomous snakes and many people have permits for them as well as many people who have them illegally, you might be surprised to find out that there might even be one right next door. Watch THIS Does pet cobra or rattlesnake live next door?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 AM

389 posts, read 662,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No, any loose cobras will be killed by the packs of pythons that took over the Everglades!
And if that doesn't happen, some of the outlandish, intemperate negative comments that have been posted on these boards over the years will scare the cobras away. After all, wouldn't a cobra steer clear of a "ghetto cesspool dump" like Broward County? Would a cobra want to be around "rude, trashy, low-class people," or "bands of thugs on every street corner"? I think not!

Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post

I have personally seen many stores that sell venomous snakes
Got any links to this?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:57 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
They ever catch the lion?

I know there are still baboon and other monkey sightings every once in a while.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Got any links to this?
Off the top of my head Strictly Reptiles is one place in Davie Florida but a permit is required to buy venomous snakes. So as H&H and others can see, snakes and all types of critters are not that far away.

Quote:
Venomous:
Regulated Venomous Species: Wood box required, Air Cargo Shipping Only
Fer de Lance wc adults
Bothrops atrox

Flat Nosed Pit Viper
Trimeresurus puniceus

Formosa Cobra adult
Naja kaouthia

Formosa Cobra Het Leucistic
Naja kaouthia

Gaboon Viper babies
Bitis gabonica

Indonesian Spitting Cobra sub adult
Naja sputatrix

Malayan Krait adult
Bungarus canididus

Monocled Cobra babies
Naja kaouthia

Pigmy Rattlesnake
Sistrurus m. barbouri

Snouted Cobra banded adult
Naja a. annulifera

Sunset Monocled Cobra 2 foot Het. Blizzard
Naja kaouthia

Suphan X Monocled Cobra
Naja n. kaouthia

Wagler's Tree Viper
Tropidolaemus wagleri

Western Gaboon Viper
Bitis g. rhinoceros

White Lip Tree Viper
Trimeresurus albolabris

Venomous Non-regulated Species Wood box not required
Asian Vine Snakes
Ahaetulla prasina

Asian Vine Snakes colored phase
Ahaetulla prasina

Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
And if that doesn't happen, some of the outlandish, intemperate negative comments that have been posted on these boards over the years will scare the cobras away. After all, wouldn't a cobra steer clear of a "ghetto cesspool dump" like Broward County? Would a cobra want to be around "rude, trashy, low-class people," or "bands of thugs on every street corner"? I think not!
Nope, those are not up to the *King* Cobra standards.

But it might like to pay a visit to a place where it is hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area