Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:48 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times

Advertisements

And want to add another to the suburb list--in Sunrise, near Sawgrass Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM

389 posts, read 662,717 times
Consider Imperial Point on the northern edge of Fort Lauderdale -- wife and I (like you, we have no kids) lived there for almost 20 years (we still live nearby) and loved it. I'd have to characterize it as a mix of city and suburb. It's 20 minutes from downtown Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas, and 10-15 minutes to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, a walkable beachfront town with the type of restaurants and bars you might enjoy. Lots of shopping and dining nearby on the U.S. 1 corridor, also. There are usually some homes for rent there (many with pools), and they'd definitely fit into your budget. Dog-friendliness is, of course, up to the landlord -- but there's even a neighborhood pet parade every November. My wife travels to Coral Springs for business once a week and makes the the drive in 30 minutes, sometimes less.

If you don't mind my asking, where in Chicago do you live now? I grew up in the northwest suburbs but, unfortunately, have not been back to the area for many years.

Last edited by Papillons2; 01-08-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
I would suggest northeast Boca/Southeast Delray.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I would suggest northeast Boca/Southeast Delray.
The only problem with Boca/Delray is that it's just that much further from the hipster/younger scene in Miami.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:34 PM

18 posts, read 27,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Using the words "niche/hipster/up and coming younger areas" and Sunrise, Weston, west Davie, Tamarac, Pembroke Pines, and Coconut Creek in the same sentence is pretty much impossible unless you include the word "not."

These are all suburbs, designed primarily for families who want to live horizontally, in primarily in SFH's, rather than vertically in high rises. Being away from the city means a car is far more important so walk-ability to shops and services aren't as vital as being able to walk to parks and schools.

And Fort Lauderdale, being what it is, is a far different place culturally than Chicago, and our large retiree, Hispanic, Caribbean and service-oriented economies have had, and continue to have, an impact on its development and growth of neighborhoods.

I think for starters, to try to find as much as you're looking for, I would start with looking at the Las Olas area near downtown Fort Lauderdale and the Mizner Park area in east Boca Raton.

Good luck with the search!
Then hit the suburbs--in Weston, the Town Center area; in Pembroke Pines, near The Shops of Pembroke Gardens; and in Coconut Creek, near The Promenade.
thank you, again I really appreciate it.

I should have clarified we understand we are moving to the suburbs most likely and have embraced the idea of finally getting a house. I am just trying to understand if there are areas that are more densely populated with a younger demographic. We will both have cars and enjoy driving for errands/etc... in terms of going out I assume there is always Uber as well.

It's hard to ask questions without knowing the area, but knowing it will be vastly different than what we are used to. After 10 years in Chicago I'm up for trying it out.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
Consider Imperial Point on the northern edge of Fort Lauderdale -- wife and I (like you, we have no kids) lived there for almost 20 years (we still live nearby) and loved it. I'd have to characterize it as a mix of city and suburb. It's 20 minutes from downtown Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas, and 10-15 minutes to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, a walkable beachfront town with the type of restaurants and bars you might enjoy. Lots of shopping and dining nearby on the U.S. 1 corridor, also. There are usually some homes for rent there (many with pools), and they'd definitely fit into your budget. Dog-friendliness is, of course, up to the landlord -- but there's even a neighborhood pet parade every November. My wife travels to Coral Springs for business once a week and makes the the drive in 30 minutes, sometimes less.

If you don't mind my asking, where in Chicago do you live now? I grew up in the northwest suburbs but, unfortunately, have not been back to the area for many years.
Thanks!

We live downtown in Wicker Park - which was sort of the new Brooklyn but has evolved into an affluent area of young professionals and families.

And while I certainly would LIKE to live in a nice area, crime is RAMPANT where we live now. Break ins, muggings, armed robberies, and even shootings (always gang related, but still happening just blocks away) are an everyday occurrence. Maybe it's something we are numb to and is worse in the 'worse' areas of SE Florida.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Trying to get a better understanding of the cities/neighborhoods/etc.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:54 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Any of the suburbs we have mentioned will have a younger demographic as they all attract families looking for yards (even if they are near zero lot line) and good schools and low crime (by South Florida standards) to raise their children. I wouldn't describe any of them as particularly dense.

Definitely the densest area is Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale but that's not a suburb. Boca is a city unto itself in a different county than Fort Lauderdale and it's roughly divided into 3 sections, east, west and central and probably the densest area is east Boca.

My guess is that the suburb with the oldest demographic would be Sunrise (the city does have several clusters of retirement communities). The other suburbs mentioned by me and previous posters skew younger, IMHO.

It'll be interesting to see what your preference is--generally there are those of us who love the burbs and what they offer and others who think living in South Florida is only worthwhile east side and that anything west of I95 is devoid of taste, culture and uniqueness.

You'll get a better idea once you come down and visit. I hope you report back and let us know what you think!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:16 AM

64 posts, read 70,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGirl22 View Post
Thank you. I realize all of this will be a big adjustment coming from downtown Chicago. Right now I can walk out our door and walk to amazing local restaurants just 5 minutes away. We're up for the change, just trying to figure out if there are any niche/hipster/up and coming younger areas around!

Again I appreciate your thoughtful response. Visiting soon will be helpful I think.
With most of the areas mentioned you will still have everything within just a few minutes but it is a few minutes drive versus walk. Coral Springs near University and Atlantic or that corridor North on University you will find a lot of restaurants. Some are bigger chains but many are small and unique. If you go a little east to Coconut Creek you can also find some really nice rentals in your price range and lots to do since you are closer to Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. You are also closer to the beach. You didn't mention that but it is usually a nice bonus.

I have a friend that moved from Plantation to Chicago. I think crime and pace in generally is a lot slower here but not enough that you will be bored.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 AM

389 posts, read 662,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGirl22 View Post
And while I certainly would LIKE to live in a nice area, crime is RAMPANT where we live now. Break ins, muggings, armed robberies, and even shootings (always gang related, but still happening just blocks away) are an everyday occurrence.
The areas listed in these postings are all pretty safe -- probably every bit as safe as the nicest areas of Wicker Park, maybe even more so.

The thing to watch out for in Broward County -- even in some of the suburbs -- is that it's not unusual for nice areas to be close to not-so-nice areas, with major roads, canals, etc., often serving as the only buffers. It's not unlike Chicago in that respect.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
The areas listed in these postings are all pretty safe -- probably every bit as safe as the nicest areas of Wicker Park, maybe even more so.

The thing to watch out for in Broward County -- even in some of the suburbs -- is that it's not unusual for nice areas to be close to not-so-nice areas, with major roads, canals, etc., often serving as the only buffers. It's not unlike Chicago in that respect.
Yes, absolutely - it can be block by block in some areas.

When we are talking about "crime" in the not so nice areas, what types of crimes? Just curious.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area