Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:28 AM

6 posts, read 6,417 times

Advertisements

I am a CPA (accountant), looking to move to Fort Lauderdale from Cambridge, MA with my 8 yo son. Mostly, this is due to much better weather. I am originally from a warmer area and can not get used to the cold long winters.

I would appreciate input about the following:

I am thinking about Bayview Elementary School for my son. Which areas around the school I should avoid, and which areas I should look into for rent. Which areas have more kids in neighborhoods? I'd like to be closer to the beach I think. Looking to pay ~$1,800/m for a 1 or 2br.

If for some reason he would not get into Bayview (we are moving in August and may not be considered as residents until then), what other good schools should we consider, where it would be doable to get into. I am not looking into private schools at the moment. He is a bright boy.

How to minimize expenses for moving -- what mistakes to avoid. What not to "drag" from MA to FL?

Any pointers to CPA firms, accounting work?

How does health insurance system work in FL. As a self-employed I will be paying for our insurance out-of-pocket. How to purchase health insurance in Florida?

Thanks!

Last edited by luna_luna; 03-04-2016 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
I think you should look west and east. Spend at least a little time researching and driving the areas. EVERYONE who moves to South Florida seems to say the same thing "I'd like to be near the beach" ... but the reality is that the best neighborhoods for families with children are the opposite direction. Cooper City, Weston, Davie, west Pembroke Pines, etc.

That doesn't mean YOU should move west, but I would certainly make a list of pros and cons. Note that as soon as your child is in middle school in that neighborhood, he will start at a school where he is a minority and while the schools aren't bad, they aren't great either. This isn't an issue for a lot of people, and it is an issue for a lot of people. Make that decision on your own.

Maybe others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of an issue "getting into" a school for which your home is zoned for. Is that even a concern?

There is plenty of options for a 2 bedroom home/townhouse/apartment in the $1800 range almost anywhere in Broward. So don't worry about that.

Health insurance, you have several options. When I was originally self employed I just went on the carriers websites and shopped for a plan. Purchased directly. That was well before ACA. We are also on the ACA exchanges in Florida, so you can go that direction, too. Definitely explore both and compare. Based on what I'm guessing your age range to be, I would think you are around $300/mo for decent health insurance - ACA Silver Plan. You may be eligible for the tax credit savings on these as well to reduce that heavily.

Hopefully some others can chime in and answer your other questions.

http://www.aetna.com/individuals-fam...Rates_2016.pdf

Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
I'm convinced that no one should move to South Florida without a job lined up or a LOT of savings. Look for the job first, and let that drive where you choose to live.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I'm convinced that no one should move to South Florida without a job lined up or a LOT of savings. Look for the job first, and let that drive where you choose to live.
What's the fun in that? I know countless people who came here on vacation, and decided to make the move immediately... "never went home." Including my mom and dad, separately (they met here). It's sound advice to have a job - generally speaking, but people know their own situations and I don't really judge them unless they ask for advice.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:51 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
I'm a landlord who would never rent to someone without a job unless they wanted to prepay a year's rent, but that's just me. OP should keep that in mind.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:51 PM

Thank you for responses!

Most importantly, re: neighborhoods:

If not "by the beach" (I recognize this wish is mostly due to being frozen in the Boston area and wanting something very different), what specific neighborhoods would you suggest to look at? I will be flying to LF several times in the next few months to start making arrangements and meeting with landlords & brokers. In order to narrow the search, what specific zip codes or neighborhood names?

re: insurance - thank you for references. I'll start looking. We pay for insurance around $650/m in MA + co-pays and such.

re: a job. I have been self-employed for over four years. I will retain most of my clients from Boston and other areas. Accounting and Taxes are done online these days. If a landlord does not accept income from remote work as valid income, then we are probably not a good match, and it is ok with me.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think you should look west and east. Spend at least a little time researching and driving the areas. EVERYONE who moves to South Florida seems to say the same thing "I'd like to be near the beach" ... but the reality is that the best neighborhoods for families with children are the opposite direction. Cooper City, Weston, Davie, west Pembroke Pines, etc.

That doesn't mean YOU should move west, but I would certainly make a list of pros and cons. Note that as soon as your child is in middle school in that neighborhood, he will start at a school where he is a minority and while the schools aren't bad, they aren't great either. This isn't an issue for a lot of people, and it is an issue for a lot of people. Make that decision on your own.

Maybe others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of an issue "getting into" a school for which your home is zoned for. Is that even a concern?

There is plenty of options for a 2 bedroom home/townhouse/apartment in the $1800 range almost anywhere in Broward. So don't worry about that.

Health insurance, you have several options. When I was originally self employed I just went on the carriers websites and shopped for a plan. Purchased directly. That was well before ACA. We are also on the ACA exchanges in Florida, so you can go that direction, too. Definitely explore both and compare. Based on what I'm guessing your age range to be, I would think you are around $300/mo for decent health insurance - ACA Silver Plan. You may be eligible for the tax credit savings on these as well to reduce that heavily.

Hopefully some others can chime in and answer your other questions.

http://www.aetna.com/individuals-fam...Rates_2016.pdf
Thank you for pointers!

May you please recommend which specific neighborhoods to look at?
Any specific ones to avoid?
Here is a map of the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...w.k2-hU-bJch74
Thanks once again!

Old 03-05-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_luna View Post
Thank you for pointers!

May you please recommend which specific neighborhoods to look at?
Any specific ones to avoid?
Here is a map of the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...w.k2-hU-bJch74
Thanks once again!

Sure, I circled it. There is, obviously, some parts even in these areas that are better or worse. It's one of those things you really need to drive around yourself. And a lot depends on where you are working, too.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
If you're just moving your practice, that's considered employment in my book.

At that point, you just need to figure out what areas are the best fit for you. Generally, you'll get more square footage for the money further west, but will be further from the beach.

I definitely think it's smart to drive around, both during the day and at night to get a real feel for the communities.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:11 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_luna View Post
re: a job. I have been self-employed for over four years. I will retain most of my clients from Boston and other areas. Accounting and Taxes are done online these days. If a landlord does not accept income from remote work as valid income, then we are probably not a good match, and it is ok with me.
Ah, that's different. You didn't mention you were self-employed in your first post. In that case you'd just provide copies of a couple of year's tax returns as proof of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area