Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:51 AM
l22

30 posts, read 33,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Cultture-multure...

Everyone here is oh so cultured...

So what are you culture snobs do every day to get your fill of culture? Do you go to the opera every day? Symphony? Ballet? Ah?

Just would like something more like the cities I previously mentioned when it comes to "culture." A lot of the lack of culture down here/abundance of trash may be because of the lack of racial diversity and the divide between the super rich and the super poor (who are stuck working crappy service industry jobs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM
l22

Hence the large number of single moms down here who are somehow expected to feed their kids by working as a cashier at Publix, some other retail store, restaurant/bar or a hotel.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 AM
l22

Quote:
Originally Posted by l22 View Post
Just would like something more like the cities I previously mentioned when it comes to "culture." A lot of the lack of culture down here/abundance of trash may be because of the lack of racial diversity and the divide between the super rich and the super poor (who are stuck working crappy service industry jobs).
You can add to that lack of education.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l22 View Post
You can add to that lack of education.
But not lack of opportunities.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:52 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,788 times
Hello jm9234! I actually relocated to this area from DC last year just you are planning, I am also a single young adult male so I hope to answer your questions and provide you with as much insight possible considering that we share some commonalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9234 View Post
I'm trying to narrow down the areas to find a 1 BR apartment in the $1400-1800/mo range.

This is doable. I currently pay $1600 a month for a studio in a very desirable area of Downtown Fort Lauderdale, however, if you are flexible with location and search well you may very well be able to find a one bedroom apartment within your price range.

Quote:
1. Neighbors who are professionals or at least keep reasonable hours
2. People (and single women) in my age range (i.e. 24-30)
3. Reliable high-speed internet (for work)
4. Reasonable level of crime. I've lived in cities for a while now, I'm not a scaredy-cat but I want guests to feel safe coming to my neighborhood and I don't want to live next to drug addicts.

You can find all of this area, Downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas area. As far as the crime levels, South Florida has sharp lines when it comes to good areas and bad areas, stay on the east side of downtown and along Las Olas are all good areas, avoid the west and anything past the railroad tracks.

Quote:
Things that would be really nice too:

-some walkable entertainment facilities i.e. bars/restaurants
-on or near the beach

Once again you can find all of this in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. The beach is 5-10 minutes away. Both Las Olas and Himmarshee are known for its bars/restaurants/nightlife scene.

Quote:
Any advice on narrowing the places that I'm considering so far or other options? Also I'm planning on going to see places in person in late July, any advice on making it a more successful trip? Thanks!

On your discovery trip, I would recommend spending some time Fort Lauderdale, then some time in Hollywood, and finally some time in Miami. All three areas are distinctly different. Of course the closer you get to Miami neighborhoods become very dense and urban, as does the traffic. Please let me know if there are any others questions I can answer.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Well excuse us for not wanting a cookie-cutter lifestyle in the former swamp of Weston....with your fake everything. Fake downtown, fake "tuscan" communities, fake landscaping, fake pre-fabricated feel all around ugggh. Weston is disgusting IMO.Talk about a boring community The most exciting thing going on there is the Starbucks in that crap excuse of a downtown.
Talk about the lack of culture and tact... Looks like I've summoned it right there.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Talk about the lack of culture and tact... Looks like I've summoned it right there.
Has town center ever really been marketed as some sort of "downtown"? Seems Optimus is very fixated on some fictional downtown Weston that doesn't even exist. Town Center is simply marketed as a shopping center, and within that context, it's a pretty nice shopping center.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 AM

59 posts, read 115,442 times
$1400 - $1800 a month on the beach doesn't happen unless you're in a trash/ghetto area with plenty of crime. Fort Lauderdale is due for a rebound, but yes, its a pretty sad state from even 5 years ago when you go down town and see all the old popular places boarded up and abandoned now.

Apartments even in the Suburbs are more than what your budget is down here, unless you're willing to take on complete strangers as room mates to afford something better/nicer.

I think you've hyped what South Florida is up too much. Re-evaluate like several others have suggested with the information you have.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaLEO View Post
$1400 - $1800 a month on the beach doesn't happen unless you're in a trash/ghetto area with plenty of crime. Fort Lauderdale is due for a rebound, but yes, its a pretty sad state from even 5 years ago when you go down town and see all the old popular places boarded up and abandoned now.

Apartments even in the Suburbs are more than what your budget is down here, unless you're willing to take on complete strangers as room mates to afford something better/nicer.

I think you've hyped what South Florida is up too much. Re-evaluate like several others have suggested with the information you have.
You can get a very nice 1 or 2 bedroom on the beach for $1400 - $1800, easily.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM
l22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
But not lack of opportunities.
Yeah, tons of opportunities! There's cashier at Publix, cashier at Walgreens, McDonalds, Burger King. Essentially, jobs a teenager would be the most likely to work in most other states, but adults work them here because there's nothing else and they're trapped trying to feed the kids they had way too young. I remember watching a Youtube video saying "you need a Master's Degree to work at McDonalds in Florida."

Last edited by l22; 06-27-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area