Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Attachment 217048

The fact that you’re near 26 miles (almost an hour, and that’s if traffic is GOOD according to my image above at least) from the beach for one thing. A 52 mile round trip drive just to go to the beach? No Thanks with a capital N and T.

In fact, to get anywhere on the coast you’re looking at a 20-30-40 mile drive at minimum. And that’s if and only if 595 isn’t backed up, because there is always a chance that that the express lanes will be closed [they only go in one direction depending on the time of day] and there’s no alternative to 595 if it is backed up. Heck no I wouldn’t live that far west. People in South Florida spend most of their lives in their cars as it is.
I am in Artesia, and that doesn't stop me from going to the beach or to Fort Lauderdale on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 11:04 PM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I am in Artesia, and that doesn't stop me from going to the beach or to Fort Lauderdale on a regular basis.
Doesn’t change the fact that you live so far away. If there’s any sort of accident or traffic on 595 there are no alternatives.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Doesn’t change the fact that you live so far away. If there’s any sort of accident or traffic on 595 there are no alternatives.
Broward Blvd, Sunrise Blvd, Oakland Park Blvd, Commercial Blvd - are the alternatives.

I actually commute to work every day via Oakland Park Blvd and Commercial Blvd and McNab.

Lots of people live out West and don't seem to have a problem with it.

Me, personally, I am a bit bored out here, compared to when I lived in Fort Lauderdale, but it is not a huge problem.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:21 AM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Broward Blvd, Sunrise Blvd, Oakland Park Blvd, Commercial Blvd - are the alternatives.
None of what you said acknowledged, refutes, or otherwise argues the fact that by living in Weston you are near 30 miles from the coast. I can guarantee you just as many residents find a 60 mile drive just to go to the beach is unacceptable.

All of those are surface streets which require significant diversion to the northwest/east, and add significant time.

Even when 595 or 95 is backed up, stop and go traffic on interstates here is still faster than surface streets. So everything requires a 30 minute or more car trip. Yuck.

Quote:
I actually commute to work every day via Oakland Park Blvd and Commercial Blvd and McNab.
Where are you commuting to from Weston that surface streets are faster than going on the interstate? What city?

Quote:
Lots of people live out West and don't seem to have a problem with it.
Therein lies the problem, lots of people live out west so the commute is terrible when 595 is backed up at rush hour every day....Why do you think they added express lanes?

Quote:
Me, personally, I am a bit bored out here, compared to when I lived in Fort Lauderdale, but it is not a huge problem.
Exactly my point. Mostly [in before someone gives me a laundry list of things you can do out west] everything fun in South Florida is on or near the coast.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Exactly. The beach is a straight shot down 595 and hardly a long drive. Takes about 30 minutes. And it's not like the beach is something we do all the time, it doesn't interest us that much. We go here and there and 30 minutes is nothing.

But using the same standard... if you live near the beach, it's a long drive to Sawgrass, Markham Park, or anything else out west. And when we head up US27 to our second home, it's a heck of a lot faster already being out west than if we lived near the beach...

The reality is, when you live out west, you probably aren't that interested in what East has to offer and vice versa. But if we want to go to the beach, we just hop in the car and go. It's a nothing burger. It's not a con any more than suggesting living in Fort Lauderdale is a con because the AA Arena is in Miami... so gosh, it must be awful living in Broward. It's a silly argument.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
None of what you said acknowledged, refutes, or otherwise argues the fact that by living in Weston you are near 30 miles from the coast. I can guarantee you just as many residents find a 60 mile drive just to go to the beach is unacceptable.

All of those are surface streets which require significant diversion to the northwest/east, and add significant time.

Even when 595 or 95 is backed up, stop and go traffic on interstates here is still faster than surface streets. So everything requires a 30 minute or more car trip. Yuck.

Where are you commuting to from Weston that surface streets are faster than going on the interstate? What city?

Therein lies the problem, lots of people live out west so the commute is terrible when 595 is backed up at rush hour every day....Why do you think they added express lanes?

Exactly my point. Mostly [in before someone gives me a laundry list of things you can do out west] everything fun in South Florida is on or near the coast.

I think the OP's first priority is to be near American Heritage, and in a nice area. Fun stuff in Fort Lauderdale? Dunno, let's ask OP.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:16 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
I think the OP's first priority is to be near American Heritage, and in a nice area. Fun stuff in Fort Lauderdale? Dunno, let's ask OP.
Right? Gosh, I'm near the beach so it's convenient once a week when I want to go, but gee, I have to drive all the way west to American Heritage every damn day.... It's so much better being East!!!

I mean, really, the only con for either east or west is the commute. If you have kids in AH, then of COURSE it's better to live out West. If you work downtown and your kids go to school in that area, obviously you would want to live east. Nobody really cares about "near the coast" as all of South Florida is "near the coast" as you know driving from Artesia.

What "fun stuff" is near the coast? The beach? Other than that? What if someone likes cycling and outdoors related stuff? West is way better. Less traffic? West. More space? West. Nicer parks and playgrounds? West. Restaurants? West and East.

Last edited by BNBR; 12-30-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 03:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

What "fun stuff" is near the coast? The beach? Other than that? What if someone likes cycling and outdoors related stuff? West is way better. Less traffic? West. More space? West. Nicer parks and playgrounds? West. Restaurants? West and East.
Hahaha! OMG I can't think of too many people that would cycle in South Florida. At least not my end of Broward County. My girlfriend actually got run over on her bike on Las Olas.

I live on Las Olas two miles from the beach and in season it takes me 20 minutes because of the traffic and longer if the bridge goes up. I am so much closer to the beach than those who live in Weston yet certain times of year, I don't get there faster.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hahaha! OMG I can't think of too many people that would cycle in South Florida. At least not my end of Broward County. My girlfriend actually got run over on her bike on Las Olas.

I live on Las Olas two miles from the beach and in season it takes me 20 minutes because of the traffic and longer if the bridge goes up. I am so much closer to the beach than those who live in Weston yet certain times of year, I don't get there faster.

The best locations for those who must be going to the beach every day are on the barrier island - no need to drive, no need to find and pay for the parking.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
Exactly. If you are a beach person, just live in a condo with an ocean view and walk to the beach everyday. There's nothing like it. But after the first year, the novelty wears off and you go to the beach less and less. It's funny how I lived 300 feet away from the beach and could look at it every day and yet maybe went there only a few times a month. You find excuses. The water it too rough, too rainy, too windy, too crowded. I kind of longed sometimes for the privacy of my own backyard pool.

Quote:
The best locations for those who must be going to the beach every day are on the barrier island - no need to drive, no need to find and pay for the parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area