Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Mort Zuckerman, US News and World Rept, is on MSNBC (yeah, ok they're questionable but...) making a case that the numbers are understated and in fact, economically we are in a recession. Claims all the factors together point to the worst period since WWII and the politicians have no understanding of microeconomics.

Whether he's right or wrong, there is no doubt that a long cycle of inflation and slowing economy are creating a perfect storm and some belt tightening is what we're all going to do.

We lived through a recession post Carter and I remember people pulling guns in the gas lines. My immigrant DH came here in 76 when we married, with a Masters in Economics from Greece looking for an American MBA. He attended an Ivy League school on loans and grants through sheer arrogance (lol) and determination since he had no clue what a challenge even getting IN was going to be, (which was actually not that hard because he was a braniac and they could see it).....let alone really crappy (almost no) English skills, slaving away in the basement office day and night for 4 years for his MBA and PhD in Systems Engineering (because his English could not afford him to stay in Economics). (and me too, because of the language problem).

Problem...it was in Transportation and Reagan cut funding immediately like the week he graduated and I had a baby. I remember saying who can live on that crappy salary you got with the Regional Transportation Commission and he was lucky to get that job. Paid less than my phone company union job at the time and I was home on maternity so we had one income. He had two suits, khaki and seersucker because I could wash them... and 2 pairs of pants to rotate in. He counted the change stuck in the car seats for bus fare to get to school/work. The clothing was subsidized by his brother and my mother so we could buy it at Brooks Brothers so he could maintain a professional appearance. He gave up alot in Greece being a big fish in a small pond but the gift from America to him and his family over there was indescribably priceless and he was willing to work his brains out here to succeed.

LOL he bought an IBM Selectric typewriter for 50.00 a major investment used, at the University book store and the "e" didn't work and everything I typed the floating ball flew across the room. That was our life. We thought it was fun, actually.

Long story short, he moved (we divorced) to chase jobs through 3 major cities throughout his whole career. He's very accomplished now at 58 and "famous" in his field.

Journalist, I don't understand 30,000 for an MBA and your wife's BS in IT unless you are entry level and that's how it works. You're living in a resort state like it or not. At this point imo, job security is the issue not the actual dollars if you're both working and professionals. Absent that, I'd be looking to move to Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh area etc....get your resume fixed by a professional and make sure your interviewing skills are top notch. Learn what to say or not say. Absent that I'd be learning another pursuit or skill while you're still young enough to do so. IT work you can freelance even from home. Absent that I'd be taking a second job at the grocery store stocking shelves overnight or whatever....IME, hustling is the way out of difficulties. You have no other choices really but determination and perseverance. And obviously stopping at one kid for now. NO offense but I do think the "hustle" is missing in Fl for many demographics of people (not all as our immigrant friends show us by working tirelessly like my DH) for obvious reasons. It's the South, damn hot, low paying, makes you mad that others elsewhere make more, and seems pointless when you can golf or go to the beach. Not saying that's you, just sayin'....

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-01-2008 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 AM

Let me add, the DH immigrant came here with absolutely zero on a visitor visa for one month. He was supported by his college student cousin and brother, working as a waiter like a dog every single night of the week. After a year or so he picked up some dumb jobs for pittance spending money. And some bad jobs like 10%-ing for Greeks at the race track using MY SOCIAL !!!

His entry level career he was outside in heat, ice, snow, counting cars and counting people getting on trains then working all night on a report. Because of the economy they had an IVy League MBA PhD doing intern and grunt work in ADDITION to his real job.

There were no computers then, (1976 through the 80's) my apartment was filled with shoeboxes of "cards" that were spread out from one end of the place to another for days and weeks and months working on projects and putting the cards in various order (for the enormous mainframes that took up rooms).

The days of young people expecting 2 cars, big houses, vacations, pools are ridiculous, IMO and does it sound cliche yes, but that doesnt make it "wrong". Millions of Phila people live in row houses in perfectly good neighborhoods doing perfectly good jobs like, cop, firefighter, ambulance you name it. Because they live within their means.

The more I think about it the more I think of, so I'll de-rant for now LOLOL

Old 07-01-2008, 02:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

The days of young people expecting 2 cars, big houses, vacations, pools are ridiculous, IMO and does it sound cliche yes, but that doesnt make it "wrong". Millions of Phila people live in row houses in perfectly good neighborhoods doing perfectly good jobs like, cop, firefighter, ambulance you name it. Because they live within their means.

The more I think about it the more I think of, so I'll de-rant for now LOLOL
Lol...so true....People have no concept of living withing their means, it's so sad. That and the instant gratification are two issues destroying this and the next generations to come...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM

245 posts, read 1,171,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
So what is your advice for the millions of Florida residents that have a higher education and get paid in the low 30's or less? Florida is not a state where an education matters much. When you factor in student loans, a college graduate in Florida is making minimum wage at best. trust me I know,lol.

When i was fresh out of high school in N.J. I got a warehouse job making $15 per hour and had no skills. Most major states still value honest hard work and you dont need an education or training, just a willingness to work hard. Unfortunately Florida is not that kind of state.

i totally agree, the people down here are very unprofessional, awful work ethic, and hard work is not appreciated at all, you get paid practically nothing

Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM

124 posts, read 440,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
So are you saying everyone needs a Bachelors degree, 3 to 5 years experience and a professional image in order to get a job?
Is this for real?

Isn't this reality no matter where you are?

Let me get this straight, if for whatever reason someone does not have the characterictics above, and the job requires it, you think that they should they be considered just the same AND get paid the same as someone who does? I don't think so.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

124 posts, read 440,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
So what is your advice for the millions of Florida residents that have a higher education and get paid in the low 30's or less? Florida is not a state where an education matters much. When you factor in student loans, a college graduate in Florida is making minimum wage at best. trust me I know,lol.

When i was fresh out of high school in N.J. I got a warehouse job making $15 per hour and had no skills. Most major states still value honest hard work and you dont need an education or training, just a willingness to work hard. Unfortunately Florida is not that kind of state.
A place in NJ was paying you $15/hour in a warehouse? I have a 2 friends that can't even find jobs right now in NY -

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
A place in NJ was paying you $15/hour in a warehouse? I have a 2 friends that can't even find jobs right now in NY -
In Bucks County Pa the Giant supermarket chain in the year 2000 was paying $11.50 per hour for the overnight cashier position plus full benefits, and 15.00 per hour to stock on the overnights plus full benefits. This includes unloading the trucks, loading the produce, dairy and aisles, and the bakery position works overnight too.

I know because I had to close my retail store when my BF was in ICU for 3 months and the only job I could find at night when he was sleeping was in the overnight grocery store. It was actually fun. (I didn't need the benefits just the 3 months nighttime work for basic money)

They had to bus in the local work release prisoners (low risk guys like in jail for DUI and drugs) in order to fill the positions. Half prisoners half non prisoners. The prisoners, btw were excellent workers and fun. They loved getting out into the world and didn't want to mess up their release date. I never worried about being a cashier overnight with them there, they used to get all tough looking and circle around whenever someone suspicious came in LOL.

I think sometimes people don't think to pursue these types of jobs maybe they just assume they are "bad" or they look "down" on them but they are always in demand especially in the winter. I don't know about now, though. I used to have "regulars" condescendingly make stupid comments like "maybe with more education you can get a better job". Apropos of nothing, and not knowing a single thing about me.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
My kids' friends are all having terrible luck getting jobs this summer. One kid applied to *26* Starbuck's, and didn't get one offer, and this surprises me because he "looks and acts" SOooo Starbuck's - he's perfect (!), but all those jobs that used to go to high schoolers are going to college kids and adults unemployed from another field...it really is scary out there employment-wise. I saw two homeless people yesterday. One walked into my suburban ob/gyn's office as I was leaving, asking for a handout, and then returned to his car where he obviously lived. The other was sitting on a bench outside a CVS on University. I suspect crime is going to rise dramatically, people are hurting out there.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM

"One walked into my suburban ob/gyn's office as I was leaving, asking for a handout,"

Well that's a first

Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Well that's a first
At least he didn't rob it! There has been at least one bank robbery a day in South FL! The interesting thing is that these aren't violent armed heists, these are everyday looking people walking into a bank and passing notes to the teller. That's pretty desperate stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area