Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times

Advertisements

My Mom has always loved the expression, "May you live in interesting times" - that it is, that it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Seriously though, I have a friend that works for BSO in Weston and Cooper City. There has been a major surge in robbery, but not armed robbery. Also burglars are breaking in to restaurants and stealing beer kegs for the metal! Big increase in metal thefts in general (especially copper) because the costs are skyrocketing. They even stole metal from the plumbing at Weston Town Center! There was also a surge in burglaries in Cooper City for a while but I think they are cracking down pretty hard. Weston has actually had a couple of those non-armed bank robberies this year...I think the last one they hit up is the BB&T by Country Isles. The amazing thing is that these people get arrested within like 45 minutes because they don't bother to wear masks or anything. The sentinel ran a sensational report about hats and sunglasses supposedly being adequate camouflage but that's not really true.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM

I can kind of imagine an American version of a Dickens novel emerging. Dickens wrote about the end of the English empire, and i think we're living in the beginning of the end of the US empire. If I was a better writer, I'd love to tackle it...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM

I don't think it's the end (yet). Most of these fools actually get caught. I would love to see cannabis legalized to free up jail space for robbers and burglars. I think you already know about the incarceration rate in the US...oh yeah, and we are dumping criminals from the 80s back on the streets. Here we go again!

Yeah, you should write it...although I'm sure a very scholarly student at Heritage is already working on it at the moment!

See, the scary part is that South FL doesn't have the worst economy...I still think we have lived through worse though. There were recessions in the late 70s and late 80s.

Late 1980s recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That article is crap but the factors right now look suspiciously similar, including the politics...I'm not an economist but I think the empire won't fall for at least another 25 years. We might be able to save our sorry asses one more time before the disaster of peak oil is finally actualized, and by then, it will be too late...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-02-2008 at 11:05 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Yes, cannabis MUST be legalized. This is the STUPIDEST law we have!

LOL...you're probably right about the Heritage kid already at work on it - they cant get any jobs flipping burgers...

And, I agree this has stagflation written all over it. Back to the 80's - Time to become a cocaine dealer!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Time to become a cocaine dealer!
I would actually say that meth is the new coke. Oddly enough we seem to be missing the meth wave that much of the US is facing. I guess we had enough problems with coke back then!

Maybe we should start servin' it up .

Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 PM

You're right - I'm so old, but meth is just gross and dangerous to make and evil stuff - I see it as the new crack. Cocaine at least has a little panache

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I would actually say that meth is the new coke. Oddly enough we seem to be missing the meth wave that much of the US is facing. I guess we had enough problems with coke back then!

Maybe we should start servin' it up .
Nat'l Geo channel had a doc today all about it. It's on again Friday I think.

Ironically, I was just going to say, when reading upthread abut the legalization idea that perhaps that would keep everyone potheads instead of violent crazed speedfreaks.

And yes, during Carter we had guns being pulled in the gas lines. Not even for robbery, just cuz they wanted to jump in line, swear

Old 07-03-2008, 03:24 AM

305 posts, read 805,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
Is this for real?

Isn't this reality no matter where you are?

Let me get this straight, if for whatever reason someone does not have the characterictics above, and the job requires it, you think that they should they be considered just the same AND get paid the same as someone who does? I don't think so.
Didn't mean that, I meant a job that doesn't require a world of experience, nor a tip-top clean shaven image that provides a decent standard of living.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't think it's the end (yet). Most of these fools actually get caught. I would love to see cannabis legalized to free up jail space for robbers and burglars. I think you already know about the incarceration rate in the US...oh yeah, and we are dumping criminals from the 80s back on the streets. Here we go again!

That article is crap but the factors right now look suspiciously similar, including the politics...I'm not an economist but I think the empire won't fall for at least another 25 years. We might be able to save our sorry asses one more time before the disaster of peak oil is finally actualized, and by then, it will be too late...
I give it 15 years at best. Collapse seems likely. I know, I sound pessimistic. We have a tendency to put a ban-aid on everything, and do nothing about the root of the problem, therefore paying for things dearly. None of this is going to stop. Economies are created with all the ills that are going on. Do you think politicians, and government for example would want to put an end to all this if they could? What are they going to do with Cops, Social Workers and Correctional Officers once crime is near nothing, if it ever happened? It wont happen, I know. No time soon, and not in this country, anyways. Drugs, crime...It's as American as Apple Pie now. Sad, but true.

8.oo per hour, whatever the job, put your best foot forward. Whether it's $7.50/hr or $50k Plus a year, professionalism is very important. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and acting ghetto is not "keeping it real" (more like keeping it real ignorant, if you ask me). Nothing aimed at you. Just a point, that I am making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area