Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 29,553 times

Advertisements

My husband may be relocated to Pompano Beach through his company. We are both early 30s, we have a 2.5 year old and a baby due in a few weeks. I am trying to gather some information about the area so we have an idea of a minimum income we would need (I stay at home) and safe, family friendly neighborhoods within a reasonable commuting distance from Pompano.

If the relocation happens, the plan is to rent for at least 6 months and look for a home in the meantime. I am anticipating our cost of living to go up dramatically, especially housing. Are there any resources to figure out how much things like utility bills, grocery prices, etc compare? We currently enjoy a low cost of living near Chattanooga, TN.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more information please ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
You can Google 'cost of living' calculator. I don't think I can link because they are competitor's sites.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,329 times
Oh, my, God. What did they tell you about Pompano? It's the worst, most dangerous city in the county. Granted I have a place on the ocean there and east of the intercoastal is marginally ok, especially as you head more south towards lauderdale by the sea.

Anyways, if you want to be in a reasonable area with a house, you'll need a minimum $80k to be comfortable. Otherwise you'll end up in troubled cheaper areas, which you'll think look ok when you come to visit, until you live there for a few weeks and realize what you got yourself into.

Right now most people are leaving the area to go to the South (TN, NC, SC, etc.). If you can afford it and stay out west though, (Davie, Southwest Ranches, West Sunrise, West Coral Springs, Parkland, Boca) the area does have a lot to offer. Just don't expect low cost of living.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 29,553 times
Thanks for the heads up. The company hasn't said anything about the area, but I have been doing some research. We have already decided that we won't relocate for less than 75k, he will get bonuses on top of this, so hopefully that will work out. Neither one of us are thrilled about the location, but it would be hard to turn down a promotion in this economy. We won't know if this move is actually happening for at least another week.

We plan to rent an apartment for the first 6 months so we get a feel for the area before we commit to buying a house. Is coral springs a reasonable commute from Pompano Beach? We are hoping that this will be a five year stop so schools might only be an issue for k and 1st grades, but that area seems to be a nice combination of family friendly without being too far out of the way.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 AM

205 posts, read 480,856 times
With young ones, I would stay out west the schools are better out there. Coral springs isnt far. It takes my husband about 15 minutes from P.beach to get to work. Parkland is nice too but its expensive. Weston, P.pines, cooper city are nice too but it is a hike if his job is in P.beach. I think coral springs or boca is your best choice. The schools are much better in Boca. although coral springs is nice, it does have some seedy parts like all of south florida and I would choose west boca schools over coral springs. Either way you cant go wrong with those two areas, lots of family things to do.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:25 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,329 times
Ditto. Coral Springs (depends which part) and Boca are your best options.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 7,562 times
Highly recommend Coral Springs (most parts) and Parkland area if you can swing it. The Hampton Apartments are a good place to rent. We love it! And if you are coming from the midwest, expect to have some sticker shock when it comes to housing.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,336 times
We just relocated from Charlotte NC & are currently renting in Parkland. Very family-friendly & schools are supposed to be great. Our kids are 2 & 4, so we aren't in elementary yet, but have heard good things. I stay at home as well, and am having a little trouble finding a preschool comparable to the one our girls attended in Charlotte. Our kids went to a half day program at a Presbyterian church. Seems like most preschools here offer half day programs, but mostly serve as full day childcare for working parents. Anyone out there have preschool suggestions near Parkland?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Boca Raton is probably the closest (especially eastern areas) and best option but can be pricey. Coral Springs is a good second choice. With one child, a minimum yearly income of at least $70,000 dollars is ideal. Expect to pay about $250,000 for a 3 bedroom single family home in a good school district, or put a higher percentage down on a cheaper foreclosure/short sale.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Pompano is safe enough to work in. Just lock your doors when you drive through the western half of Pompano west of Dixie Highway. Anything near I-95 or the Turnpike is ghetto-land. Chances are, your job is in a safer area of Pompano or on a secured campus of some sort. Don't drive down Hammondville Road or wander into backstreets in any areas west of Dixie Highway. Stay on the main roads such as Atlantic Blvd, Copans Road, or Sample Road.

As for areas to live, Coral Springs, Parkland, Boca Raton, and Coconut Creek are all only 15-20 minutes away in any direction from Pompano Beach. They are all good family areas considered suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area